Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Food security and agriculture preparedness and response in emergencies
- Zimbabwe emergency drought mitigation operation for livestock 2013 – 2014
- Amélioration de la résilience des communautés rurales vulnérables face aux catastrophes naturelles en Haïti
- Support to early livelihood recovery of returnees in South Sudan
Connect with us
Production and distribution of rice and bean seeds to rural families affected by seasonal floods in Madagascar
Production and distribution of rice and bean seeds to rural families affected by seasonal floods in the southeast coastal regions of Vatovavy Fitovinany and Atsimo Atsinanana
To improve the food security of the most vulnerable farming families and strengthen farmers’ resilience to soaring food prices and recurrent natural calamities (cyclones and flooding) in disaster-prone areas of Vatovavy Fitovinany and Atsimo Atsinana.
Direction Régionale de Développement Rural, Bureau de Développement l’Ekar Mananjary, Fiangonana Loterana Malagasy DIAKONIA and Inter Aide Manakara.
60 478 vulnerable farmers.
- Distributed 50 tonnes of bean seeds of the lingo blanc variety to 10 000 households.
- Distributed 3 tonnes of rice seeds, along with 21 tonnes of fertilizer, allowing 478 farmers to facilitate seed multiplication activities.
- Assisted project beneficiaries in treating, packaging and storing rice seeds produced through the project.
- Carried out training sessions on field preparation, sowing, transplanting, weeding, fertilization and seasonal calendars, as well as seed purification and post-harvest techniques.
- Achieved a total production yield of 617 250 kg through the distribution of bean seeds.
- Harvested 178.3 tonnes of certified rice seeds.
- Built the capacity of farmers on the seed multiplication process.
- Increased seed stocks to allow project beneficiaries to better prepare for disasters, including cyclones and flooding.