Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Emergency support to protect agriculture-based livelihoods of vulnerable households in Burkina Faso
- Activités de production alimentaire domestique d'urgence dans les zones urbaines vulnérables et marginalisées dans la bande de Gaza
- Fortalecimiento de la capacidad de recuperación de las poblaciones desplazadas y receptoras de la región de Mopti en Malí
- Projet de relèvement et de relance économique dans la province du Maniema. Projet conjoint PNUD/FAO pour la Stratégie ISSSS, en appui au STAREC
Connect with us
Strengthening production capacity of farmers affected by the earthquake through seed multiplication
Strengthening production capacity of vulnerable farmers directly and indirectly affected by the earthquake through support to community based seed multiplication
To improve access to agricultural inputs by supporting the local production and marketing of quality seeds and planting materials, in collaboration with local partners and producer organizations.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Rural Development, seed producers’ organizations as well as national and international NGOs.
Some 3 400 vulnerable households, 4 300 members belonging to 10 small-scale production seed groups (GPAS), the Ministry of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Rural Development and the populations from the Western and South-eastern departments.
- Organized seed fairs and distributed vouchers that allowed to purchase 33.6 tonnes of quality seeds.
- Loaned 9.9 tonnes of basic seeds for GPAS multiplication activities.
- Trained 203 GPAS members on seed production techniques, agricultural enterprise management and the “Farmer Field School” approach.
- Distributed 32 silos with a total storage capacity of 16 tonnes.
- Distributed a portable soil moisture box, 300 tote bags with a capacity of 50 kg per bag, four seed dryers, a scale capable of weighing up to 100 kg, maize shellers, three germinators and a trier for seed sampling to each of the 10 GPAS.
- Facilitated trainings on the use of the equipment provided by the project.
- Renewed degenerated seeds and introduced new crop varieties including beans, sorghum and peas.
- Improved the production and marketing of quality seeds.
- Produced 57 tonnes of bean seed, 1 150 tonnes of maize seed, 65 tonnes of pea seed and 80 tonnes of sorghum seed.
- Produced 387 tonnes of beans, 26 tonnes of maize and 400 kg of peas for a total value of USD 676 834.
- Improved the technical capacity of GPAS members, and stabilized the socio-economic GPAS situation.
- Improved the GPAS seed packaging and storage practices.
- Strengthened social cohesion and business links between local seed producers and farmers in the region.