Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Household recovery reinforcement and support to Emergency Response Coordination in the Niger
- Support to coordination of food security and agriculture in emergency preparedness and response in Afghanistan
- Programme de réponse rapide et de renforcement de la sécurité alimentaire pour les ménages affectés par les conflits à l’Est de la République démocratique du Congo
- Coordination of food and agricultural disaster risk reduction and management in southern Africa
Connect with us
Emergency agriculture assistance to flood victims in Sri Lanka
Emergency agriculture assistance to flood victims in the Eastern and Central Provinces of Sri Lanka
To improve the food security and reduce the economic vulnerability and relief dependence of flood victims in Eastern Sri Lanka.
The Department of Agriculture.
16 515 households.
- During the yala 2011 season, distributed 1 585 tonnes of seed paddy, sufficient for the cultivation of 13 608 hectare of land, to 14 782 farmers who had access to irrigated land.
- During the maha 2011/12 season, distributed 106 tonnes of paddy seed, sufficient for the cultivation of 3 467 hectares of land, to 1 733 flood-affected farmers who were not able to plant crops during the previous yala season due to lack of irrigation facilities.
- The inputs provided under the project enabled a harvest yield of 63 012 tonnes of paddy during the yala 2011 season.
- Beneficiaries had increased access to paddy for household rice consumption, future seed stocks and sale of surplus, thus improved food security and income generating opportunities.