Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Nutrition Material development for Agriculture Workers in Ethiopia26/08/2015
- Strengthening institutional capacity for and improving intersectoral collaboration, coordination, and communication for effective prevention and control of rabies in Viet Nam24/08/2015
- Strengthening wildlife farming biosecurity and management in Viet Nam24/08/2015
- Assistance d’urgence pour la protection du bétail touché par la crise au Waziristan du Nord par l’approvisionnement en fournitures vétérinaires et fourrages primordiaux 18/08/2015
- Effective, timely and strategic Food Security and Agriculture Cluster (FSAC) coordination solutions to food insecurity in Afghanistan18/08/2015
Connect with us
Collaboration with WFP for the implementation of a rice project in Uganda
Collaboration with WFP for the implementation of a rice project in Teso subregion (Katakwi and Amuria districts) and Karamoja region (Moroto and Nakapiripirit districts)
To enhance agricultural productivity and the development of market infrastructure in the subregions of Teso and Karamoja.
The Office of the Prime Minister-Department of Disaster Management and Refugees, the Agricultural Research Laboratories Institute of Kawanda, the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries and local NGOs.
104 farmer field school (FFS) groups (3 120 members) and 86 Government officers.
- Distributed 13 000 kg of NERICA rice seed, with an average planting rate of about 26 kg per acre.
- Facilitated workshops on the agronomy of NERICA to build the capacity of FFS facilitators.
- Established study and commercial plots, and trained farmers on rice planting, weeding and harvesting, post-harvest handling, seed multiplication as well as methods and practices to improve quality, shelf life, nutrition and competitiveness of rice along market chains.
- Assisted FFS networks in developing business and work plans, conducting monthly reviews and organizing inter-group exchange and exposure visits.
- Set up saving and credit schemes with FFS groups.
- Organized regional meetings and a national workshop to build the capacity of the Government on food security and Integrated Food Security and Humanitarian Phase Classification (IPC) methodology.
- Harvested a total of 155 896 kg of rice, with crop yields of up to 4 500 to 5 000 kg per ha.
- Provided 300 kg of harvested rice to FFS networks.
- Developed an IPC map and bulletin for the period of April to August 2010.
- Increased availability of quality rice seed at community level.
- Generated household income from rice production.