Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Regional initiative in support of vulnerable pastoralists and agropastoralists in the Horn of Africa31/03/2015
- Strengthening the FSL Cluster for food and nutrition security in South Sudan24/03/2015
- Strengthening food security coordination for livelihood response and improving food and nutrition security response in South Sudan23/03/2015
- Improving food and nutrition security through increasing access to crop production inputs, technology and services19/03/2015
- Emergency support to improve food security conditions of vulnerable internally displaced households in the Syrian Arab Republic12/03/2015
Connect with us
Livelihood recovery for flood-affected communities in Ethiopia
Livelihood recovery for flood-affected communities in Amhara National Regional State
To ensure the quick livelihood recovery of flood affected communities in Wanthwa, Jikawo, Akobo and Lare woredas.
Gambella Regional Bureau of Agriculture Development (RBAD), Gambella Agriculture Research Institute and other local government offices.
14 826 households through the seed component.
- Distribution of 2 242 quintals of cereal (maize and sorghum) seeds to 10 851 households, 1 952 kg of vegetable seeds to 6 954 households, 22 292 farm tools (watering cans, hoes, etc.) and 400 treadle pumps.
- Training in use and maintenance of treadle pumps (151 development agents, experts and farmers), flood mitigation and vulnerability mapping (30 woreda and RBAD experts), small-scale irrigation and water management (22 woreda and RBAD extension staff, conservation agriculture (30 experts), integrated pest management and post-harvest handling (30 trainees), disaster risk reduction and early warning (25 local government staff) and animal health (235 farmers and animal health workers).
- 167 669 animals belonging to 23 640 households vaccinated against disease.
- Assessment mission conducted to determine the extent and magnitude of flooding and develop solutions to mitigate risk to lives and livelihoods.
- 163 360 quintals of cereal and over 43 000 quintals of vegetables harvested.
- Assessment team identified flood mitigation measures, i.e. to protect villages with soil embankments, etc.
- Capacity developed in the region for animal health, irrigation, conservation agriculture, disaster risk reduction and flood mitigation.
- Livestock protected against common diseases.