Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- FAO Resilience Programme in Somalia30/05/2016
- FAO technical support to the COMESA-EAC-SADC Programme on Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation in the Eastern and Southern Africa Region18/05/2016
- Emergency livelihood support to crisis-affected populations in South Sudan13/05/2016
- Assistance d’urgence en santé animale aux petits éleveurs touchés par les inondations en Serbie13/05/2016
- Appui agricole en faveur des ménages affectés par la malnutrition et l'insécurité alimentaire en République Démocratique du Congo13/05/2016
Connect with us
HPAI early warning, early response and preparedness strategy support in Regional Africa
HPAI early warning, early response and preparedness strategy support in Western and Central Africa
Western and Central Africa.
To assist countries in Western and Central Africa in enhancing their capacities to prevent the introduction of HPAI and to respond efficiently to HPAI outbreaks.
USAID; OIE; AU-IBAR; the Ministries of Livestock and Animal Health in Western and Central Africa.
23 Western and Central African ministries responsible for livestock and animal health; poultry owners, producers and traders; national veterinary services; general population.
- Capacity-building activities in the fields of enhanced biosecurity for poultry farms and live bird markets (LBMs).
- Creation of RESOLAB, RESEPI, RESECOP and RESOCOM networks.
- Passive and active surveillance in key countries such as Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Niger and Sierra Leone.
- Installation of TADinfo software in Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea Bissau and Mali and training of staff in its proper use and maintenance.
- Introduction and testing of the regional zoo-sanitary certificates for poultry and poultry products within the ECOWAS area.
- Organization of the regional HPAI control simulation exercises.
- Provision of reference reagents for HPAI and material for laboratory diagnosis, organization of technical training workshops and external proficiency tests.
- Support of the region’s main poultry associations and promotion of public-private partnerships at the national and regional levels.
- Strengthened regional capacities of 23 countries on HPAI surveillance, prevention and control.
- Enhanced collaboration between national epidemiosurveillance systems and diagnostic laboratories both at country and regional levels.
- Reduced laboratory confirmation diagnosis to two days instead of an average of 30 days in 2006.
- Improved biosecurity in selected LBMs in Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire and Togo as a result of well-designed and implemented interventions.
- Heightened awareness of the risks associated with animal diseases (particularly zoonotic diseases) and human-animal interface issues.