Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Programme for increase of agricultural production by the improvement of productivity (Phase III) in Afghanistan
- Emergency support to winter wheat production in the Syrian Arab Republic
- Appui au renforcement des capacités et à la mise en place de filets de sécurité alimentaire des ménages en situation de forte insécurité alimentaire en Haiti
- Promoting local food purchases for food assistance on the African continent – purchase from Africans for Africa
Connect with us
Emergency peste des petits ruminants (PPR) containment in Tanzania
Emergency peste des petits ruminants (PPR) containment in the United Republic of Tanzania
Arusha, Kilimanjaro, Manyara, Mara, Singida, Shinyanga and Tanga.
To stop mortality of small ruminants in the regions of Arusha, Kilimanjaro, Manyara, Mara and Tanga attributed to PPR and halt the spread of the disease to other parts of Tanzania.
Directorate of Veterinary Services (DVS); local government authorities; private animal health service providers; non-governmental organizations.
800 000 pastoral and agro-pastoral households, with 4.2 million persons in northern Tanzania affected by PPR.
- Provision of emergency vaccines, vaccination materials and funds for operationalization of field vaccination activities in the northern Tanzania districts, including a purchase of 3.5 million doses of PPR vaccines, four kits of PPR enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), 52 cool boxes, 45 automatic syringes 10 ml, 45 automatic syringes 30 ml, 60 spare glass barrels 10 ml, 60 spare barrels 30 ml, 100 ice packs, five refrigerators, one car refrigerator and other consumables.
- Vaccination of 3.3 million sheep and goats in the targeted geographical location.
- Participation of three local experts in a two-day knowledge and experience sharing workshop for in Entebbe, Uganda, on 22 and 23 July 2009.
- Organization of a PPR awareness workshop in Arusha, Tanzania, on 19 and 20 August 2009 for the field veterinary staff.
- Training on diagnosis and PPR ELISA for the Veterinary Investigation Centre (VIC) technicians conducted by a Technical Cooperation among Developing Countries (TCDC) expert from the Republic of Kenya, in collaboration with an expert from the Central Veterinary Laboratory, Temeke district.
- Improved protection of small ruminants and establishment of a vaccination buffer to halt the southward movement of PPR.
- Heightened awareness of the risks associated with PPR among pastoral and semi-pastoral households.
- Enhanced public-private partnerships and coordination.