Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Food security and agriculture preparedness and response in emergencies
- Zimbabwe emergency drought mitigation operation for livestock 2013 – 2014
- Amélioration de la résilience des communautés rurales vulnérables face aux catastrophes naturelles en Haïti
- Support to early livelihood recovery of returnees in South Sudan
Connect with us
Emergency agricultural response to Typhoon Ketsana-affected farmers in the Lao People's Democratic Republic
Emergency agricultural response to Typhoon Ketsana-affected farmers
Attapeu, Sekong, Champassack, Savannakhet and Saravane provinces.
To contribute to saving lives by immediately protecting, and partly restoring, the food security of the most vulnerable farming families through the supply of agricultural inputs.
The Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, and the Department of Agriculture.
11 380 households receiving rice seed and 11 000 households receiving agricultural tools.
- Distribution of 440 tonnes of improved rice seeds in March 2010 to 11 380 families (238 villages in 16 districts of five provinces) in time for the 2010 rainy season.
- Procurement and provision of agricultural tool packages – containing hoes, spades, sickles, machetes and watering cans – to 11 000 families in August 2010 (distributed through a complementary project funded by the Government of the Kingdom of Sweden and the Principality of Andorra in the same provinces).
- Rice production for the 2010 rainy season restored for 11 380 families.
- The varieties of rice seed provided led to higher yields, improved seed stocks and thus further contribute to livelihood rebuilding. The varieties also: (i) are resistant to blast disease, brown plant hopper, bacterial blight and other diseases; and (ii) have tolerance to acidity and cold, and good resistance to flooding.
- Over an estimated 7 300 hectares rehabilitated, estimated to produce 25 600 tonnes of rice.
- 11 000 typhoon-affected families in the same provinces equipped with agricultural tools to contribute to restoring their agricultural production.