Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Mise en place d'un stock stratégique d'intrants agricoles et de parc à bois et de lianes de patate douce en République Démocratique du Congo21/04/2015
- Scaling up of root and tuber crops diversification in 15 woredas of Amhara, Oromia, SNNPR and Tigray Regions of Ethiopia16/04/2015
- Strengthening the resilience and improving the food and nutrition security of displaced populations and host communities by restoring their agricultural production in Mali15/04/2015
- Appui à la production alimentaire d’urgence en faveur de 7 000 ménages malnutris et en insécurité alimentaire en territoire de Niangara, district de Haut Uélé (Province Orientale) 15/04/2015
- Drought Recovery Response in Ethiopia14/04/2015
Connect with us
Disaster risk management – seed response intervention in Ethiopia
Disaster risk management – seed response intervention in the Southern Nations, Nationalities and Peoples’ Region
To improve the food security of poor smallholder farmers who have been affected by two successive below-normal Belg rains, and who are producing less food and are therefore more vulnerable to malnutrition.
CRS, GOAL, Food for the Hungry and World Vision Ethiopia.
11 189 beneficiary households received haricot bean seed and 15 848 beneficiary households received teff seed.
- Held an inception workshop with 32 participants from the region, zone and woredas, including focal persons, finance officers, woreda extension heads and development agents, to familiarize partners with the project.
- Distributed a total of 144.4 tonnes of haricot bean to 11 189 beneficiary households and 106.5 tonnes of teff seed to 15 848 beneficiary households.
- Collected feedback from farmers and agriculture experts on seed and planting material quality.
- Inception workshop enabled participants to discuss the project objectives, strategies, activities, targeting criteria and processes, roles and responsibilities of partners involved in project implementation and planting windows.
- Based on estimates made from a sample of teff farmers, farmers produced a total of 5 756 tonnes of teff from the 106.5 tonnes of seed distributed, with each household producing an average of 3.63 quintals (2.9 quintals - 4.7 quintals); production was enough to feed a family of 6.5 people for 122 days.
- Even though the haricot bean crops were affected by moisture stress, 11 189 beneficiary households produced 2 707.5 tonnes from the 144.4 tonnes of haricot bean seed provided by FAO, enough to feed a family of 6.5 people for 2.71 months.
- Beneficiaries and agriculture experts rated the quality of the inputs as very good.