Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Emergency recovery support to restart livelihoods, income generation and food self-sufficiency and to build the resilience of small-scale rice- and corn-based farming communities in Leyte province of Region VIII severely affected by Typhoon Haiyan23/07/2015
- Renforcement de la Résilience des populations vulnérables au Niger22/07/2015
- Agricultural assistance to populations affected by the floods in the prefectures of Dinguiraye, Kankan, Kindia, Siguiri and Tougué16/07/2015
- Intervention d’urgence pour protéger les moyens d’existence vitaux et la sécurité alimentaire des familles d’éleveurs pauvres touchés par la crise et la sécheresse en République arabe syrienne16/07/2015
- Restoring food security and improving income generation through the promotion of livestock and crop production in Central African Republic14/07/2015
Connect with us
Disaster risk management – seed response intervention in Ethiopia
Disaster risk management – seed response intervention in the Southern Nations, Nationalities and Peoples’ Region
To improve the food security of poor smallholder farmers who have been affected by two successive below-normal Belg rains, and who are producing less food and are therefore more vulnerable to malnutrition.
CRS, GOAL, Food for the Hungry and World Vision Ethiopia.
11 189 beneficiary households received haricot bean seed and 15 848 beneficiary households received teff seed.
- Held an inception workshop with 32 participants from the region, zone and woredas, including focal persons, finance officers, woreda extension heads and development agents, to familiarize partners with the project.
- Distributed a total of 144.4 tonnes of haricot bean to 11 189 beneficiary households and 106.5 tonnes of teff seed to 15 848 beneficiary households.
- Collected feedback from farmers and agriculture experts on seed and planting material quality.
- Inception workshop enabled participants to discuss the project objectives, strategies, activities, targeting criteria and processes, roles and responsibilities of partners involved in project implementation and planting windows.
- Based on estimates made from a sample of teff farmers, farmers produced a total of 5 756 tonnes of teff from the 106.5 tonnes of seed distributed, with each household producing an average of 3.63 quintals (2.9 quintals - 4.7 quintals); production was enough to feed a family of 6.5 people for 122 days.
- Even though the haricot bean crops were affected by moisture stress, 11 189 beneficiary households produced 2 707.5 tonnes from the 144.4 tonnes of haricot bean seed provided by FAO, enough to feed a family of 6.5 people for 2.71 months.
- Beneficiaries and agriculture experts rated the quality of the inputs as very good.