Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Improve food insecure households' resilience in the eastern region of Burkina Faso27/04/2016
- Appui aux réfugiés maliens dans la région de Tahoua, Niger27/04/2016
- Livelihoods resilience opportunities for conflict-affected rural communities in the Central African Republic27/04/2016
- Réponse d’urgence en appui aux populations rurales en République centrafricaine21/04/2016
- Consolidate and strengthen agriculture and disaster risk management responses to food security and nutrition through resilience building in Mauritania15/04/2016
Connect with us
Urgent assistance to improve the food security situation of households affected by the 2011 food crisis in the Niger
Urgent assistance to improve the food security situation of households affected by the 2011 food crisis
To contribute to the food and nutrition security of vulnerable populations in agropastoral areas of the Niger through the increased production of vegetables and cereals.
Ministry of Agriculture, in partnership with the regional Departments of Agriculture and non-Governmental organizations.
77 600 vulnerable families (about 22 600 more than expected).
- Purchased and distributed 418 tonnes of dry seeds (millet, sorghum and cowpea).
- Purchased and distributed 1 335 kg of vegetable seeds.
- Purchased and distributed 122 tonnes of potato seed.
- Planted 38 400 ha of rainfed crops (millet, sorghum and cowpea), 895 ha of vegetable crops and 122 ha of potatoes.
- Produced a total of 26 500 tonnes of rainfed crops, 4 360 tonnes of potatoes and 32 809 tonnes of fresh vegetables.
- Reduced the food insecurity of poor and very poor households by providing them with enough food for up to four months.
- Increased household income through the revenue generated by the sale of vegetable production, estimated at USD 176 per household.