Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Emergency support to protect agriculture-based livelihoods of vulnerable households in Burkina Faso
- Activités de production alimentaire domestique d'urgence dans les zones urbaines vulnérables et marginalisées dans la bande de Gaza
- Fortalecimiento de la capacidad de recuperación de las poblaciones desplazadas y receptoras de la región de Mopti en Malí
- Projet de relèvement et de relance économique dans la province du Maniema. Projet conjoint PNUD/FAO pour la Stratégie ISSSS, en appui au STAREC
Connect with us
Provision of essential agricultural inputs for returning war-affected internally displaced persons in the north of Sri Lanka
Provision of essential agricultural inputs for returning war-affected internally displaced persons in the north
Jaffna, Kilinochchi, Mannar, Mullaitivu and Vavuniya districts of Northern Province
To improve food security and reduce the economic vulnerability of conflict-affected families in Northern Province.
Department of Agriculture in Northern Province; Department of Animal Production and Health in Northern Province; and Non-governmental Organizations.
58 158 returnee farming households
- Distributed 120 521 bushels (20.5 kg each) of paddy seed to 16 330 households, as well as 9 000 tarpaulins and 200 airtight storage containers to support paddy production.
- Distributed 207 159 kg other field crop (OFC) seeds to 14 392 households.
- Distributed vegetable seed kits to 27 893 households and fruit seedlings to 9 697 households (of which 8 316 also received coconut seedlings).
- Provided 47 524 seed/seedling recipients with agricultural tools specific to their livelihood activities and distributed 4 400 water pumps.
- Provided 6 432 households (45 percent female-headed) with poultry packages and 150 households with goats.
- Rehabilitated 285 wells used for food production and installed 40 sprinkler irrigation schemes.
- Provided technical assistance to beneficiaries on crop establishment and management, conservation agriculture farming methods, post-harvest losses, marketing and seed preservation and storage.
- Trained poultry recipients on backyard poultry keeping and goat recipients on goat rearing and management practices.
- Re-established beneficiaries’ agriculture-based livelihoods and increased household food security, nutrition and income-generating opportunities.
- Cultivated 60 109 tonnes of rice on 39 051 acres of abandoned paddy fields and 7 972 tonnes of OFC on 6 365 acres of abandoned highland.
- Established a stable water source for irrigation through the renovation of wells and the provision of water pumps and sprinkler schemes.
- Increased beneficiaries’ knowledge of improved crop production practices, backyard poultry keeping and goat rearing.