- 11/03/2014 - FAO Director-General José Graziano da Silva today witnessed the positive results of FAO's Typhoon Haiyan response programme and committed FAO to supporting the recovery of fishing and farming livelihoods in ...read more
- 09/12/2008 - Another 40 million people have been pushed into hunger this year primarily due to higher food prices, according to preliminary estimates published by FAO today. This brings the overall number ...read more
- 08/12/2008 - Around 40 percent of the population of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), an estimated 8.7 million people, mostly young children, pregnant and nursing women and the elderly, will ...read more
- 02/12/2008 - Ocean warming, frequent tropical cyclones, flash floods and droughts are likely to have a devastating impact on food production systems in Pacific island countries, FAO warned today.
Climate change-related disasters are already ...read more
- 13/11/2008 - After years of massive crop losses caused by a devastating virus, farmers are harvesting healthy cassava - one of Africa's principal foodstuffs - throughout the Great Lakes region, FAO announced ...read more
- 12/11/2008 - Representatives of major wheat producing countries have called for urgent coordinated action to prevent and control the wheat stem rust disease strain Ug99, FAO said today. The fungus is capable of ...read more
- 11/11/2008 - The United States will provide an additional USD 44.4 million in support of FAO's avian influenza control and prevention campaign, FAO announced today. With the new funding from the United States ...read more
- 27/10/2008 - Communities in Haiti suffering severe food insecurity are to be assisted by a US$10.2 million package which will quickly boost Haiti’s battered agriculture sector.
The funds come at a time when ...read more
- 16/10/2008 - FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf today called for a political and financial push to boost sustainable agriculture in the world’s poor countries, double global food production and free the world of ...read more
- 15/10/2008 - Governments should avoid reducing aid to developing countries’ agriculture and introducing protectionist trade measures in response to the unfolding global financial crisis, FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf cautioned today.
In a statement ...read more
- 18/09/2008 - Rising prices have plunged an additional 75 million people below the hunger threshold, bringing the estimated number of undernourished people worldwide to 923 million in 2007, FAO said today.
High food prices ...read more