- FAO support enables farmers in Maguindanao province to participate in the cropping season30/07/2015
- Building more resilient farming communities after Typhoon Haiyan30/07/2015
- South Sudan takes steps to formulate a policy on charcoal production24/07/2015
- Syria: Better rains improve wheat production, but food security situation remains bleak23/07/2015
- End of the aerial operations for the 2014/15 anti-locust campaign (in FRENCH)22/07/2015
Connect with us
Myanmar’s food bowl devastated
USD 10 million urgently needed to assist poor farming and fishing communities. The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) today called for USD 10 million to assist poor farming and fishing communities in Myanmar devastated by cyclone Nargis.
The five worst-affected areas - Ayeyarwady, Yangon and Bago Divisions, and Mon and Kayin States - are considered Myanmar’s food bowl, producing much of the country’s staple food of rice and fish, and the overall food security situation in Myanmar is seriously threatened, FAO said.