- FAO supports long-term recovery in Nepal through local farmers’ cooperatives 22/08/2016
- FAO earthquake emergency response helps empower women farmers in Nepal22/08/2016
- Latest analysis shows an alarming rise in food insecurity in northeast Nigeria19/08/2016
- Rekindling hope in northeast Nigeria 19/08/2016
- Ethiopia has staved off worst of El Niño, but possible impacts of La Niña looming large12/08/2016
Connect with us
Myanmar’s food bowl devastated
USD 10 million urgently needed to assist poor farming and fishing communities. The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) today called for USD 10 million to assist poor farming and fishing communities in Myanmar devastated by cyclone Nargis.
The five worst-affected areas - Ayeyarwady, Yangon and Bago Divisions, and Mon and Kayin States - are considered Myanmar’s food bowl, producing much of the country’s staple food of rice and fish, and the overall food security situation in Myanmar is seriously threatened, FAO said.