- Increasing food availability by supporting fisher folk in South Sudan 24/02/2017
- Northeastern Nigeria conflict intensifies Lake Chad Basin hunger crisis24/02/2017
- FAO scaling up agricultural assistance for returning IDPs in northeastern Nigeria23/02/2017
- Region III farmers optimistic on recovery after widespread destruction21/02/2017
- Famine in South Sudan: a joint FAO/UNICEF/WFP statement21/02/2017
Connect with us
Myanmar’s food bowl devastated
USD 10 million urgently needed to assist poor farming and fishing communities. The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) today called for USD 10 million to assist poor farming and fishing communities in Myanmar devastated by cyclone Nargis.
The five worst-affected areas - Ayeyarwady, Yangon and Bago Divisions, and Mon and Kayin States - are considered Myanmar’s food bowl, producing much of the country’s staple food of rice and fish, and the overall food security situation in Myanmar is seriously threatened, FAO said.