- Fall armyworm spreads to East Africa25/04/2017
- Hunger and lack of rural development at the basis of the Lake Chad Basin crisis11/04/2017
- Animal vaccinations in Yemen help protect families’ livelihoods10/04/2017
- FAO Director-General meets Chad’s Prime Minister to discuss critical role of agriculture 07/04/2017
- FAO Director-General emphasizes importance of coming planting season to tackle hunger during his visit to northeastern Nigeria07/04/2017
Connect with us
Myanmar’s food bowl devastated
USD 10 million urgently needed to assist poor farming and fishing communities. The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) today called for USD 10 million to assist poor farming and fishing communities in Myanmar devastated by cyclone Nargis.
The five worst-affected areas - Ayeyarwady, Yangon and Bago Divisions, and Mon and Kayin States - are considered Myanmar’s food bowl, producing much of the country’s staple food of rice and fish, and the overall food security situation in Myanmar is seriously threatened, FAO said.