- Emerging drought threatens pastoralist livelihoods in southern Ethiopia17/01/2017
- EU provides FAO with funds to address deteriorating food security situation in Yemen11/01/2017
- Demining and repair initiative restores key irrigation canals farmland near Mosul22/12/2016
- Returning to cropping brings great rewards in northeastern Nigeria22/12/2016
- New and continued drought in the Horn of Africa threatens livelihoods and food security20/12/2016
Connect with us
Myanmar’s food bowl devastated
USD 10 million urgently needed to assist poor farming and fishing communities. The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) today called for USD 10 million to assist poor farming and fishing communities in Myanmar devastated by cyclone Nargis.
The five worst-affected areas - Ayeyarwady, Yangon and Bago Divisions, and Mon and Kayin States - are considered Myanmar’s food bowl, producing much of the country’s staple food of rice and fish, and the overall food security situation in Myanmar is seriously threatened, FAO said.