- Launch of the Platform of analysis and measurement of population resilience in the Sahel and West Africa02/05/2016
- Urgent action needed to help Ethiopia’s farmers produce food in main cropping season29/04/2016
- North Korea’s food production falls for first time since 2010 as water scarcity hits agricultural sector27/04/2016
- Investment in early warning – early actions reaps massive reward against El Niño flood threats26/04/2016
- Drones help farmers in the Philippines prepare for climate disasters25/04/2016
Connect with us
Myanmar’s food bowl devastated
USD 10 million urgently needed to assist poor farming and fishing communities. The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) today called for USD 10 million to assist poor farming and fishing communities in Myanmar devastated by cyclone Nargis.
The five worst-affected areas - Ayeyarwady, Yangon and Bago Divisions, and Mon and Kayin States - are considered Myanmar’s food bowl, producing much of the country’s staple food of rice and fish, and the overall food security situation in Myanmar is seriously threatened, FAO said.