- Ebola recovery: FAO and partners join harvest launch celebration26/11/2015
- Education: key route towards sustainable food security and Climate Change adaptation23/11/2015
- Over USD 300 000 to control peste des petits ruminants in Liberia20/11/2015
- FAO South Sudan trains 120 new Market Information Specialists nationwide19/11/2015
- A journey to Chibok17/11/2015
Connect with us
Myanmar’s food bowl devastated
USD 10 million urgently needed to assist poor farming and fishing communities. The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) today called for USD 10 million to assist poor farming and fishing communities in Myanmar devastated by cyclone Nargis.
The five worst-affected areas - Ayeyarwady, Yangon and Bago Divisions, and Mon and Kayin States - are considered Myanmar’s food bowl, producing much of the country’s staple food of rice and fish, and the overall food security situation in Myanmar is seriously threatened, FAO said.