- Famine declared in parts of South Sudan20/02/2017
- Urgent assistance needed to prevent a catastrophe in Yemen as food crisis worsens10/02/2017
- The productive transfers /CASH+ approach in the Sahel: Empowering women in southern Mauritania10/02/2017
- Revitalizing local trade in Abyei 09/02/2017
- Emergency fertilizer distributions help conflict-affected Iraqi farmers increase wheat production 08/02/2017
Connect with us
Myanmar’s food bowl devastated
USD 10 million urgently needed to assist poor farming and fishing communities. The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) today called for USD 10 million to assist poor farming and fishing communities in Myanmar devastated by cyclone Nargis.
The five worst-affected areas - Ayeyarwady, Yangon and Bago Divisions, and Mon and Kayin States - are considered Myanmar’s food bowl, producing much of the country’s staple food of rice and fish, and the overall food security situation in Myanmar is seriously threatened, FAO said.