- Millions of Yemenis face food insecurity amidst escalating conflict15/04/2015
- Emergency cattle vaccination campaign underway along Syria-Lebanon border09/04/2015
- Gathering weather data to provide early warning on climate07/04/2015
- Countries pledge to wipe out sheep and goat plague globally02/04/2015
- FAO and government team up to restore food security in northern Mali01/04/2015
Connect with us
Myanmar’s food bowl devastated
USD 10 million urgently needed to assist poor farming and fishing communities. The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) today called for USD 10 million to assist poor farming and fishing communities in Myanmar devastated by cyclone Nargis.
The five worst-affected areas - Ayeyarwady, Yangon and Bago Divisions, and Mon and Kayin States - are considered Myanmar’s food bowl, producing much of the country’s staple food of rice and fish, and the overall food security situation in Myanmar is seriously threatened, FAO said.