- CERF loan facilitates rapid scaling up of FAO’s response in Somalia21/03/2017
- Reinforcing control efforts amid outbreak of avian influenza in China17/03/2017
- Yemen’s suffering is the world’s largest humanitarian crisis today15/03/2017
- IGAD and FAO building field capacity for resilience08/03/2017
- Empowering women in the Yemeni dairy sector 08/03/2017
Connect with us
Myanmar’s food bowl devastated
USD 10 million urgently needed to assist poor farming and fishing communities. The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) today called for USD 10 million to assist poor farming and fishing communities in Myanmar devastated by cyclone Nargis.
The five worst-affected areas - Ayeyarwady, Yangon and Bago Divisions, and Mon and Kayin States - are considered Myanmar’s food bowl, producing much of the country’s staple food of rice and fish, and the overall food security situation in Myanmar is seriously threatened, FAO said.