- Belgian-FAO support to El Niño-affected pastoralists in Somali Region of Ethiopia strengthens livestock-based livelihoods26/05/2016
- FAO seeds increase the availability of fresh vegetables in conflict-hit Akobo26/05/2016
- UN agencies provide seeds, tools and food to break hunger cycle in the Central African Republic25/05/2016
- Building resilience to enable vulnerable people cope with natural disasters and pandemic threats25/05/2016
- New Global Partnership for Preparedness launched24/05/2016
Connect with us
Myanmar’s food bowl devastated
USD 10 million urgently needed to assist poor farming and fishing communities. The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) today called for USD 10 million to assist poor farming and fishing communities in Myanmar devastated by cyclone Nargis.
The five worst-affected areas - Ayeyarwady, Yangon and Bago Divisions, and Mon and Kayin States - are considered Myanmar’s food bowl, producing much of the country’s staple food of rice and fish, and the overall food security situation in Myanmar is seriously threatened, FAO said.