- Belgian-FAO support to El Niño-affected pastoralists in Somali Region of Ethiopia strengthens livestock-based livelihoods26/05/2016
- FAO seeds increase the availability of fresh vegetables in conflict-hit Akobo26/05/2016
- UN agencies provide seeds, tools and food to break hunger cycle in the Central African Republic25/05/2016
- Building resilience to enable vulnerable people cope with natural disasters and pandemic threats25/05/2016
- New Global Partnership for Preparedness launched24/05/2016
Connect with us
Urgent call for global fight against wheat killer
Representatives of major wheat producing countries have called for urgent coordinated action to prevent and control the wheat stem rust disease strain Ug99, FAO said today. The fungus is capable of causing heavy damage to wheat crops and is a major threat to food security.
In a declaration adopted by the International Conference on Wheat Stem Rust Ug99 - A Threat to Food Security in New Delhi (6-8 November 2008), countries pledged to strongly support prevention and control of the wheat stem rust as a matter of national policy and international cooperation.
Affected countries and countries at risk should develop contingency plans to prevent rust epidemics that could result in devastating yield losses. Countries should share surveillance information and a global early warning system should be immediately established.