- FAO support enables farmers in Maguindanao province to participate in the cropping season30/07/2015
- Building more resilient farming communities after Typhoon Haiyan30/07/2015
- South Sudan takes steps to formulate a policy on charcoal production24/07/2015
- Syria: Better rains improve wheat production, but food security situation remains bleak23/07/2015
- End of the aerial operations for the 2014/15 anti-locust campaign (in FRENCH)22/07/2015
Connect with us
Major drive launched against FMD
A major offensive aimed at bringing Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) under global control has been launched by FAO and the Paris-based World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE).
The initiative, presented and supported at a recent OIE/FAO Global Conference on FMD in Asunciòn, Paraguay, provides for the launch of a global programme for the progressive control of FMD. It will be implemented in the framework of the Global Framework for the Progressive Control of Transboundary Animal Diseases, signed by the two partners in 2004.
According to FAO Chief Veterinary Officer Joseph Domenech, “The FMD situation worldwide merits the attention of the international community and donors and it needs to be controlled at source and step by step.”