- Rebuilding life after the Ebola virus disease in Guinea, survivors return to their communities (in FRENCH)28/09/2015
- FAO opens the re-established central cold chain for livestock vaccines25/09/2015
- Women farmer groups on the road to recovery in Sierra Leone24/09/2015
- Typhoon-affected islands off the coast of Samar receive much-needed livestock support21/09/2015
- Third and last emergency locust campaign started in Madagascar (in FRENCH)18/09/2015
Connect with us
Major drive launched against FMD
A major offensive aimed at bringing Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) under global control has been launched by FAO and the Paris-based World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE).
The initiative, presented and supported at a recent OIE/FAO Global Conference on FMD in Asunciòn, Paraguay, provides for the launch of a global programme for the progressive control of FMD. It will be implemented in the framework of the Global Framework for the Progressive Control of Transboundary Animal Diseases, signed by the two partners in 2004.
According to FAO Chief Veterinary Officer Joseph Domenech, “The FMD situation worldwide merits the attention of the international community and donors and it needs to be controlled at source and step by step.”