- Layer-broiler chickens going to small farms hurt by conflict in eastern Ukraine28/08/2015
- FAO South Sudan trains extension workers on livestock production in Kuajok and Aweil24/08/2015
- Early Warning: El Niño threatens Somalia’s humanitarian gains 21/08/2015
- End of ground control operations for 2014/15 anti-locust campaign in Madagascar (in FRENCH) 19/08/2015
- FAO support enables farmers in Maguindanao province to participate in the cropping season30/07/2015
Connect with us
Haiti’s post-earthquake rehabilitation begins with farmers
FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf said today that with the first stage of Haiti's rescue operation now underway the country and the aid effort should simultaneously move to the urgent support of food production, agricultural rehabilitation and reconstruction. Haitian farmers must be given immediate support before the spring planting season begins in March, said Diouf.
Haiti's consumption of cereals is estimated at around one million tonnes, of which about 63 percent are imported. "The priority is to supply them with seeds, fertilisers, livestock feed and animal vaccines as well as agricultural tools," he said. It is of vital importance to boost local production programmes of quality seeds, prepare fertilisers suitable for Haiti's various production zones and crops.