- Belgium contributes €14 million to support response and resilience to disasters and crises19/01/2017
- Saving lives in the IGAD region: early action to prevent a food insecurity catastrophe, a top priority for FAO18/01/2017
- Emerging drought threatens pastoralist livelihoods in southern Ethiopia17/01/2017
- EU provides FAO with funds to address deteriorating food security situation in Yemen11/01/2017
- Demining and repair initiative restores key irrigation canals farmland near Mosul22/12/2016
Connect with us
African food security needs urgent, undivided attention
FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf today called for urgent attention to be directed at Africa’s present food security situation.
“In sub-Saharan Africa, since 2009, over 265 million people are malnourished and 30 percent of the population suffers from hunger,” Diouf said in his opening statement for the Ministerial Segment of the 26th session of FAO’s Regional Conference for Africa in Luanda, Angola. “This situation clearly demands our urgent and undivided attention,” he added.