- FAO supports long-term recovery in Nepal through local farmers’ cooperatives 22/08/2016
- FAO earthquake emergency response helps empower women farmers in Nepal22/08/2016
- Latest analysis shows an alarming rise in food insecurity in northeast Nigeria19/08/2016
- Rekindling hope in northeast Nigeria 19/08/2016
- Ethiopia has staved off worst of El Niño, but possible impacts of La Niña looming large12/08/2016
Connect with us
African food security needs urgent, undivided attention
FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf today called for urgent attention to be directed at Africa’s present food security situation.
“In sub-Saharan Africa, since 2009, over 265 million people are malnourished and 30 percent of the population suffers from hunger,” Diouf said in his opening statement for the Ministerial Segment of the 26th session of FAO’s Regional Conference for Africa in Luanda, Angola. “This situation clearly demands our urgent and undivided attention,” he added.