- Belgian-FAO support to El Niño-affected pastoralists in Somali Region of Ethiopia strengthens livestock-based livelihoods26/05/2016
- FAO seeds increase the availability of fresh vegetables in conflict-hit Akobo26/05/2016
- UN agencies provide seeds, tools and food to break hunger cycle in the Central African Republic25/05/2016
- Building resilience to enable vulnerable people cope with natural disasters and pandemic threats25/05/2016
- New Global Partnership for Preparedness launched24/05/2016
Connect with us
FAO distributes huge quantities of wheat seeds in Pakistan
FAO has begun a large-scale distribution of wheat seeds in Pakistan that will benefit well over half a million farming families or nearly five million people. The distributions will mean that for these people the current Rabi planting season that ends in December will take place despite the devastation caused by the worst flooding the country has ever known.
Making seeds available to vulnerable farming families is crucial because an estimated 500 000 to 600 000 tonnes of wheat seeds were washed away or ruined by the floods.