- FAO supports long-term recovery in Nepal through local farmers’ cooperatives 22/08/2016
- FAO earthquake emergency response helps empower women farmers in Nepal22/08/2016
- Latest analysis shows an alarming rise in food insecurity in northeast Nigeria19/08/2016
- Rekindling hope in northeast Nigeria 19/08/2016
- Ethiopia has staved off worst of El Niño, but possible impacts of La Niña looming large12/08/2016
Connect with us
FAO distributes huge quantities of wheat seeds in Pakistan
FAO has begun a large-scale distribution of wheat seeds in Pakistan that will benefit well over half a million farming families or nearly five million people. The distributions will mean that for these people the current Rabi planting season that ends in December will take place despite the devastation caused by the worst flooding the country has ever known.
Making seeds available to vulnerable farming families is crucial because an estimated 500 000 to 600 000 tonnes of wheat seeds were washed away or ruined by the floods.