- Millions of Yemenis face food insecurity amidst escalating conflict15/04/2015
- Emergency cattle vaccination campaign underway along Syria-Lebanon border09/04/2015
- Gathering weather data to provide early warning on climate07/04/2015
- Countries pledge to wipe out sheep and goat plague globally02/04/2015
- FAO and government team up to restore food security in northern Mali01/04/2015
Connect with us
Focus on concrete action on Horn of Africa
High-level operational meeting called in Rome - Urgent and concrete measures intended to heighten the international response to the worsening crisis in the Horn of Africa will be the focus of a high-level operational meeting hosted by FAO on 18 August 2011. The meeting, to which agriculture ministers of all FAO's 191 member countries have been invited, along with senior officials from Regional Economic Organizations, the African Union, NEPAD, the Rome-based agencies, leading NGOs and other partners, will take stock of the evolving situation, actions underway, needs and shortfalls in the crisis.
It will identify concrete programmes and projects, building on already prepared plans and effective actions by governments in the Horn of Africa as well as their humanitarian and development partners that need to be implemented on a wide scale to fully meet immediate requirements and address underlying causes. It follows up on the Emergency Ministerial-level Meeting on the Horn of Africa held in Rome on 25 July 2011 and will provide input which would be useful for the Pledging Conferences of the United Nations and the African Union.