- FAO support enables farmers in Maguindanao province to participate in the cropping season30/07/2015
- Building more resilient farming communities after Typhoon Haiyan30/07/2015
- South Sudan takes steps to formulate a policy on charcoal production24/07/2015
- Syria: Better rains improve wheat production, but food security situation remains bleak23/07/2015
- End of the aerial operations for the 2014/15 anti-locust campaign (in FRENCH)22/07/2015
Connect with us
Focus on concrete action on Horn of Africa
High-level operational meeting called in Rome - Urgent and concrete measures intended to heighten the international response to the worsening crisis in the Horn of Africa will be the focus of a high-level operational meeting hosted by FAO on 18 August 2011. The meeting, to which agriculture ministers of all FAO's 191 member countries have been invited, along with senior officials from Regional Economic Organizations, the African Union, NEPAD, the Rome-based agencies, leading NGOs and other partners, will take stock of the evolving situation, actions underway, needs and shortfalls in the crisis.
It will identify concrete programmes and projects, building on already prepared plans and effective actions by governments in the Horn of Africa as well as their humanitarian and development partners that need to be implemented on a wide scale to fully meet immediate requirements and address underlying causes. It follows up on the Emergency Ministerial-level Meeting on the Horn of Africa held in Rome on 25 July 2011 and will provide input which would be useful for the Pledging Conferences of the United Nations and the African Union.