- Supporting livelihoods during hard times in South Sudan27/04/2015
- Working with the people of South Sudan to build a food secure future23/04/2015
- Millions of Yemenis face food insecurity amidst escalating conflict15/04/2015
- Emergency cattle vaccination campaign underway along Syria-Lebanon border09/04/2015
- Gathering weather data to provide early warning on climate07/04/2015
Connect with us
More public support needed for small farmers
Smallholders key in feeding growing populations - Governments need to play a more active role in support of smallholders if they are to become productive enough to help feed a growing world population. The world needs to produce 60 percent more food to feed more than nine billion people by 2050 and there is broad agreement that smallholders will provide much of the extra food.
"Smallholders cannot continue to be seen as part of the hunger problem. They are an important part of the solution and are crucial to promote sustainable agriculture and management of our natural resources," said FAO Director-General José Graziano da Silva opening this week session's of the Committee on Commodity Problems (CCP).