- Small-scale farmers in Peru supported to recover from damages triggered by El Niño18/05/2017
- As food crises deepen we must step up our efforts to prevent and tackle famine18/05/2017
- The Garden Toothbrush08/05/2017
- UN food agencies call for swift action to prevent the spread of famine02/05/2017
- Multi-pronged approach – key for effectively defeating fall armyworm in Africa01/05/2017
Connect with us
More public support needed for small farmers
Smallholders key in feeding growing populations - Governments need to play a more active role in support of smallholders if they are to become productive enough to help feed a growing world population. The world needs to produce 60 percent more food to feed more than nine billion people by 2050 and there is broad agreement that smallholders will provide much of the extra food.
"Smallholders cannot continue to be seen as part of the hunger problem. They are an important part of the solution and are crucial to promote sustainable agriculture and management of our natural resources," said FAO Director-General José Graziano da Silva opening this week session's of the Committee on Commodity Problems (CCP).