- Iraq: kick-starting agriculture and livelihoods in retaken areas08/12/2016
- Seed distributions to support Haitians farmers for the winter planting season06/12/2016
- Humanitarian Response Plan: food is the number one need05/12/2016
- Empowering women through strengthened livelihoods02/12/2016
- Southern Africa: Strengthening capacity of livestock interventions in crises29/11/2016
Connect with us
More public support needed for small farmers
Smallholders key in feeding growing populations - Governments need to play a more active role in support of smallholders if they are to become productive enough to help feed a growing world population. The world needs to produce 60 percent more food to feed more than nine billion people by 2050 and there is broad agreement that smallholders will provide much of the extra food.
"Smallholders cannot continue to be seen as part of the hunger problem. They are an important part of the solution and are crucial to promote sustainable agriculture and management of our natural resources," said FAO Director-General José Graziano da Silva opening this week session's of the Committee on Commodity Problems (CCP).