- Launch of the Platform of analysis and measurement of population resilience in the Sahel and West Africa02/05/2016
- Urgent action needed to help Ethiopia’s farmers produce food in main cropping season29/04/2016
- North Korea’s food production falls for first time since 2010 as water scarcity hits agricultural sector27/04/2016
- Investment in early warning – early actions reaps massive reward against El Niño flood threats26/04/2016
- Drones help farmers in the Philippines prepare for climate disasters25/04/2016
Connect with us
More public support needed for small farmers
Smallholders key in feeding growing populations - Governments need to play a more active role in support of smallholders if they are to become productive enough to help feed a growing world population. The world needs to produce 60 percent more food to feed more than nine billion people by 2050 and there is broad agreement that smallholders will provide much of the extra food.
"Smallholders cannot continue to be seen as part of the hunger problem. They are an important part of the solution and are crucial to promote sustainable agriculture and management of our natural resources," said FAO Director-General José Graziano da Silva opening this week session's of the Committee on Commodity Problems (CCP).