- FAO South Sudan trains extension workers on livestock production in Kuajok and Aweil24/08/2015
- Early Warning: El Niño threatens Somalia’s humanitarian gains 21/08/2015
- End of ground control operations for 2014/15 anti-locust campaign in Madagascar (in FRENCH) 19/08/2015
- FAO support enables farmers in Maguindanao province to participate in the cropping season30/07/2015
- Building more resilient farming communities after Typhoon Haiyan30/07/2015
Connect with us
Elas rehabilitation in Ethiopia
In Ethiopia, the Borans has got specially prepared hand dug wells called Elas where livestock move into the well with a trench (cattle path) to water troughs half way deep in the wells.
However, the system needs improvement measures including enlargement of the trench, reduce slope of cattle path, widening cattle trough area and reducing seepage losses from collection chamber and cattle trough in most of elas it reach up to 40%. The flowing picture depicts such improvement measures.
Map of Elas in the Borans region
Number of animals using each Elas