- South Sudan takes steps to formulate a policy on charcoal production24/07/2015
- Syria: Better rains improve wheat production, but food security situation remains bleak23/07/2015
- End of the aerial operations for the 2014/15 anti-locust campaign (in FRENCH)22/07/2015
- Worries rise over outbreaks of avian flu in West Africa20/07/2015
- FAO commits regional efforts to control cross-border livestock diseases in South Sudan and Uganda06/07/2015
Connect with us
Elas rehabilitation in Ethiopia
In Ethiopia, the Borans has got specially prepared hand dug wells called Elas where livestock move into the well with a trench (cattle path) to water troughs half way deep in the wells.
However, the system needs improvement measures including enlargement of the trench, reduce slope of cattle path, widening cattle trough area and reducing seepage losses from collection chamber and cattle trough in most of elas it reach up to 40%. The flowing picture depicts such improvement measures.
Map of Elas in the Borans region
Number of animals using each Elas