- The Domino Effect of FAO Local Seed Sourcing28/05/2015
- Food security situation dire for millions in Nepal25/05/2015
- FAO delivers emergency livelihood kits to flood-affected farmers in Zambézia and Sofala provinces21/05/2015
- Italy provides EUR 400 000 to help earthquake-affected farmers in Nepal20/05/2015
- FAO Representative meets with Ebola survivors in Sierra Leone19/05/2015
Connect with us
Elas rehabilitation in Ethiopia
In Ethiopia, the Borans has got specially prepared hand dug wells called Elas where livestock move into the well with a trench (cattle path) to water troughs half way deep in the wells.
However, the system needs improvement measures including enlargement of the trench, reduce slope of cattle path, widening cattle trough area and reducing seepage losses from collection chamber and cattle trough in most of elas it reach up to 40%. The flowing picture depicts such improvement measures.
Map of Elas in the Borans region
Number of animals using each Elas