- Working with the people of South Sudan to build a food secure future23/04/2015
- Millions of Yemenis face food insecurity amidst escalating conflict15/04/2015
- Emergency cattle vaccination campaign underway along Syria-Lebanon border09/04/2015
- Gathering weather data to provide early warning on climate07/04/2015
- Countries pledge to wipe out sheep and goat plague globally02/04/2015
Connect with us
Elas rehabilitation in Ethiopia
In Ethiopia, the Borans has got specially prepared hand dug wells called Elas where livestock move into the well with a trench (cattle path) to water troughs half way deep in the wells.
However, the system needs improvement measures including enlargement of the trench, reduce slope of cattle path, widening cattle trough area and reducing seepage losses from collection chamber and cattle trough in most of elas it reach up to 40%. The flowing picture depicts such improvement measures.
Map of Elas in the Borans region
Number of animals using each Elas