Últimos proyectos destacados
- Food security and agriculture preparedness and response in emergencies
- Zimbabwe emergency drought mitigation operation for livestock 2013 – 2014
- Amélioration de la résilience des communautés rurales vulnérables face aux catastrophes naturelles en Haïti
- Support to early livelihood recovery of returnees in South Sudan
Improved livelihoods for smallholder farmers in Zimbabwe
Improved livelihoods for smallholder farmers in Zimbabwe through improved crop production, productivity and post-harvest management
Guruve, Mazowe, Gokwe South and Kwekwe
To improve and sustain the food security and livelihoods of poor rural households.
Ministry of Agriculture; Practical Action; International Crop Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics; Food and Nutrition Council; and Research for Development Trust.
Direct beneficiaries of the project include 62 extension workers and 2 472 smallholder farmers.
- Trained 62 extension workers in agricultural crop management, who in turn trained 2 472 farmers.
- Promoted conservation agriculture through five awareness meetings, one demonstration plot, 500 copies of an instructional manual and the provision of 200 hand-operated and 50 animal-drawn units of equipment.
- Constructed 12 brick-walled granaries and 12 metallic silos.
- Strengthened the Agriculture and Food Security Monitoring System, which provides bimonthly presentations and monthly food security and agriculture briefs.
- Through its production of timely, accurate and in-depth information, the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification helped to increase the speed, accuracy and appropriateness of humanitarian response in the agriculture and food security sectors.
- Proper use of the conservation agriculture training and equipment provided will reduce production costs, improve labour productivity and increase agricultural land under production.
- FAO supported annual national agricultural and food security assessments which provide: i) overall information on crop areas, yields and livestock production; ii) key technical background information on agricultural production; and iii) recommendations for potential improvements.