Últimos proyectos destacados
- Mise en place d'un stock stratégique d'intrants agricoles et de parc à bois et de lianes de patate douce en République Démocratique du Congo21/04/2015
- Scaling up of root and tuber crops diversification in 15 woredas of Amhara, Oromia, SNNPR and Tigray Regions of Ethiopia16/04/2015
- Strengthening the resilience and improving the food and nutrition security of displaced populations and host communities by restoring their agricultural production in Mali15/04/2015
- Appui à la production alimentaire d’urgence en faveur de 7 000 ménages malnutris et en insécurité alimentaire en territoire de Niangara, district de Haut Uélé (Province Orientale) 15/04/2015
Emergency flood action in Amhara Regional State, Ethiopia
Emergency flood action in Amhara Regional State
Ambassel, Antsokia Gemza, Ephrata Gidim, Habru and Shewa Robit woredas of eastern Amhara Region.
To protect the lives and livelihoods of flood-affected households in five woredas of eastern Amhara Region, through the provision of physical and biological flood mitigation measures on ten rivers and their tributaries.
The project was jointly implemented by the Government of Ethiopia, FAO and World Vision Ethiopia.
136 000 people protected from flooding and 4 840 people prevented from being displaced during the rainy season.
- Constructed 26 586 m3 of gabion structures (121 percent of the planned amount), using 13 293 gabion boxes and 13 293 kg of gabion tying wire.
- Constructed 166 514 m3 of soil embankments (246 percent of the planned amount).
- Built 5 530 m of riverbanks on 14 rivers in six woredas.
- Procured and planted locally-available multipurpose plants, including jatropha, sisal, napier grass cuttings and seedlings, sesbania sesban and pigeon pea seed.
- Trained 1 196 beneficiaries on flood early warning and preparedness; physical and biological flood mitigation measures; and watershed management practices.
- Distributed 850 flood mitigation tools to the target communities.
- Conducted inception and familiarization workshops to increase community participation in the project.
- Established a joint flood mitigation coordination committee at the regional level to enhance cooperation and synchronization of project implementation.
- Protected 136 000 people and 9 500 ha of farm and grazing lands against flooding.
- Prevented the displacement of 4 840 people during the rainy season.
- A total of 1 196 individuals have gained sufficient knowledge with regards to flood hazard monitoring and development of mitigation measures.
- Strengthened riverbanks with biological measures, such as the planting of grasses, shrubs and trees, as well as area closure of flood-prone watersheds.