Últimos proyectos destacados
- Appui à 62 espaces communautaires d’éveil pour l’amélioration de la nutrition et l’autonomisation de leurs comités de soutien
- Support and diversification of livelihood opportunities in urban/peri-urban centres of Puntland
- Strengthening emergency preparedness and response for highly pathogenic avian influenza in Bangladesh
- Strengthening national capacity to respond to highly pathogenic avian influenza in Bangladesh
Emergency flood action in Amhara Regional State, Ethiopia
Emergency flood action in Amhara Regional State
Ambassel, Antsokia Gemza, Ephrata Gidim, Habru and Shewa Robit woredas of eastern Amhara Region.
To protect the lives and livelihoods of flood-affected households in five woredas of eastern Amhara Region, through the provision of physical and biological flood mitigation measures on ten rivers and their tributaries.
The project was jointly implemented by the Government of Ethiopia, FAO and World Vision Ethiopia.
136 000 people protected from flooding and 4 840 people prevented from being displaced during the rainy season.
- Constructed 26 586 m3 of gabion structures (121 percent of the planned amount), using 13 293 gabion boxes and 13 293 kg of gabion tying wire.
- Constructed 166 514 m3 of soil embankments (246 percent of the planned amount).
- Built 5 530 m of riverbanks on 14 rivers in six woredas.
- Procured and planted locally-available multipurpose plants, including jatropha, sisal, napier grass cuttings and seedlings, sesbania sesban and pigeon pea seed.
- Trained 1 196 beneficiaries on flood early warning and preparedness; physical and biological flood mitigation measures; and watershed management practices.
- Distributed 850 flood mitigation tools to the target communities.
- Conducted inception and familiarization workshops to increase community participation in the project.
- Established a joint flood mitigation coordination committee at the regional level to enhance cooperation and synchronization of project implementation.
- Protected 136 000 people and 9 500 ha of farm and grazing lands against flooding.
- Prevented the displacement of 4 840 people during the rainy season.
- A total of 1 196 individuals have gained sufficient knowledge with regards to flood hazard monitoring and development of mitigation measures.
- Strengthened riverbanks with biological measures, such as the planting of grasses, shrubs and trees, as well as area closure of flood-prone watersheds.