Últimos proyectos destacados
- Improve coordination and food security and nutrition for better resilience of vulnerable households in the Niger30/09/2015
- Restore food and nutrition security and build resilience of vulnerable households in Sudan30/09/2015
- Préparation et renforcement des moyens d'existence des ménages vulnérables face aux risques de catastrophes au Niger, Sénégal et Tchad29/09/2015
- Renforcement de la production alimentaire d’urgence de 3 600 ménages d’enfants malnutris en République démocratique du Congo22/09/2015
Emergency assistance for the prevention and detection of priority livestock infectious diseases in Afghanistan
Emergency assistance for the prevention and detection of priority livestock infectious diseases with reproductive failure and abortion
To provide a robust estimation of the prevalence of brucellosis in comparison to other causes of small ruminant abortions and stillbirths.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) and the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH).
770 sheep and goat owners in 18 provinces where the prevalence of the disease was detected, and 400 owners from three districts in Bamyan Province as beneficiaries of the vaccination campaign.
- Training of field veterinarians in performing necropsies of aborted or stillborn ruminants and proper sample collection, as well as appropriate biosafety handling and packing of samples for shipment to the central laboratory in Kabul.
- Training of the Central Veterinary Diagnostic and Research Laboratory (CVDRL) staff in proper diagnostic procedures to identify the bacteria involved with minimal risk of self-infections.
- Technical assistance provided to the epidemiologists in data information management from the field and laboratory.
- Procurement and distribution of diagnostic and surveillance equipment, as well as maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Improved knowledge of livestock infectious diseases and causes of abortion and stillbirths in small ruminants.
- Increased capacity of the CVDRL and Regional laboratory to perform diagnosis of brucellosis and other infectious diseases, as well as of the surveillance teams to collect and report samples.
- Technical recommendations were made to provide a foundation upon which a comprehensive national vaccination strategy can be developed.