Últimos proyectos destacados
- Restore and strengthen food and nutrition security and build the livelihood resilience of huseholds in the Sudan26/10/2015
- Emergency animal health support for small scale livestock holders affected by the floods in Bosnia and Herzegovina26/10/2015
- Appui à la production alimentaire d'urgence en faveur de 4 000 ménages en République démocratique du Congo26/10/2015
- Construction of post-harvest storage facilities in northern Uganda20/10/2015
Emergency food security and livelihoods restoration support in Sudan
Emergency food security and livelihoods restoration support to conflict- and drought-affected households in South Kordofan and Blue Nile
To improve the food and livelihood security of conflict- and drought-affected households in South Kordofan and Blue Nile.
Government institutions, international and local NGOs and research institutions.
71 500 households, comprised of returnees, IDPs, nomads and vulnerable resident communities.
- Distributed crop and vegetable seed kits to 12 000 households, as well as small-scale irrigation pumps to 40 farmer’s groups.
- Restocked 1 000 female-headed households with a total 3 300 goats.
- Set up eight community-based seed stores and five community nurseries.
- Produced 100 000 multipurpose tree seedlings and distributed them to 20 000 households.
- Carried out veterinary and treatment campaigns against common livestock diseases.
- Organized three fishing groups to officially register them as fishing cooperative associations.
- Conducted two assessments in Blue Nile – one on FAO fisheries interventions and one on FAO vegetable and legume production support – and an additional assessment on the livestock situation between South Kordofan and South Sudan.
- Constructed 900 km of fire lines around pasture areas in South Kordofan.
- Provided training to environment protection promoters, community animal health workers, community seed management committees, fisherfolk and female-headed pastoral households.
- Beneficiaries were able to harvest approximately 3 139.5 tonnes of grains and 949.4 tonnes of vegetables, worth approximately USD 2.1 million.
- Reduced the mortality and morbidity rate of 840 000 heads of livestock, belonging to 37 500 households.
- Increased milk and meat production of vulnerable livestock-owning households.
- Improved access to quality processed and preserved fish among local fishing communities.
- Assisted in the reforestation of degraded lands in the project area.
- Obtained a better understanding on the impact of FAO emergency activities in Blue Nile and on livestock movements in South Kordofan.