Derniers projets saillants
- Restoring food security of newly displaced persons, returnees and vulnerable host communities in Darfur27/07/2016
- FAO El Niño Response Plan – El Niño early warning and preparedness 2015/1626/07/2016
- Improving hatchery and parent flock management practices in Viet Nam26/07/2016
- Strengthening the role of conservation agriculture in food security disaster risk reduction in Southern Africa19/07/2016
Food security and livelihood intervention to support flood-affected rural households in Pakistan
Food security and livelihood intervention to support flood-affected rural households recovering from the 2011 monsoon floods in Pakistan
To enhance household-level food security and nutrition by establishing home gardens for vegetable production, and to provide support for increased poultry production, particularly to female-headed households.
Ministry of National Food Security and Research, Ministry of Livestock and Dairy Development and Ministry of Environment.
5 000 vulnerable farming households.
- Provided 5 000 beneficiary households with 500-gram vegetable seed packages for kitchen gardening (including 300 g of pea, 100 g of spinach, 50 g of turnip, 20 g of tomato and 30 g of carrot seeds) and 5 kg of NPK fertilizer per household.
- Provided the same beneficiary households with comprehensive poultry packages, comprising of 12 birds, one portable poultry cage and 30 kg of poultry feed per package.
- Trained all beneficiary female-headed households on improved vegetable and poultry production.
- Trained a selected 328 female beneficiaries on advanced management practices for backyard poultry and kitchen gardening.
- Targeted households can collect up to seven eggs per week from their hens.
- Home gardens will provide households with at least a two-month supply of fresh vegetables.
- Savings generated from the sale of vegetables will allow beneficiaries to cover other family needs.
- Farmers reported improved yields owing to the quality of seed received and training on better field practices.