Derniers projets saillants
Strengthen food security disaster risk reduction and capacity in Malawi and Mozambique
Strengthen food security disaster risk reduction and capacity in areas prone to climatic shocks and natural hazards in Malawi and Mozambique
In Malawi: Salima, Chikhwawa and Nsanje districts.
In Mozambique: Mossuril, Mogincual and Ilha de Mozambique districts.
To provide beneficiaries with an additional season of technical support and inputs following the 2010/11 ECHO food security—disaster risk reduction (FS-DRR) project in order to further adapt and establish promising FS-DRR techniques.
Malawi: GOAL Malawi, Evangelical Association of Malawi, Cooperazione Internationale. Mozambique: Provincial Directorate of Agriculture (through the District Services for Economic Activities), Secretariado Tecnico de Seguranca Alimantat e Nutricional.
The project activities directly benefited 5 119 beneficiaries in Mozambique and 6 275 in Malawi; indirectly, the project benefited 25 423 beneficiaries in Mozambique and 31 375 in Malawi.
- Distributed appropriate early-maturing seed varieties to help farmers meet basic food requirements and generate additional income.
- Provided training in conservation agriculture, seed management, irrigation and agribusiness best practices.
- Created informational resources to disseminate best practices, including a newsletter, technical and policy briefs, and a website for DRR in southern Africa.
- Farmers have achieved increases in production of 35 to 50 percent for millet and maize.
- Crop diversification has shown important economic gains, including the intercropping of cash crops with staple crops in Mozambique, which enabled farmers to meet basic food requirements and generate income exceeding the household national gross net income by 13 percent.
- Field monitoring indicates a 50 to 65 percent uptake rate by farmers of the applied training in improved methods.