Derniers projets saillants
- Appui à 62 espaces communautaires d’éveil pour l’amélioration de la nutrition et l’autonomisation de leurs comités de soutien
- Support and diversification of livelihood opportunities in urban/peri-urban centres of Puntland
- Strengthening emergency preparedness and response for highly pathogenic avian influenza in Bangladesh
- Strengthening national capacity to respond to highly pathogenic avian influenza in Bangladesh
Support to small-scale irrigation development in Eritrea
Support to small-scale irrigation development
To improve farmers’ water management capacity and increase economic returns through irrigation farming.
Eritrea’s Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Local Government.
815 households (approximately 4 170 people) in three villages in Maekel and Debub Regions.
- The project supported the completion of the small-scale irrigation programme initiated under the European Union Food Facility project.
- The installation of a sprinkler irrigation system in Tseazega village (25 hectares), and drip irrigation systems in Azayihe village (51.14 hectares) and Onaforo village (31 hectares) respectively was completed.
- A one-day training on the operation and management of the drip irrigation system was given to members of the Water Users Associations, benefiting 33 and 42 people from Onaforo and Azayihe villages respectively.
- The irrigation schemes should, in the long run, enable beneficiaries in drought-prone Eritrea to produce a minimum of two crops per year during the dry season for consumption and sale, resulting in improved livelihoods.
- The increase in the production of vegetable and crops throughout the year should have a positive impact on market prices.