Derniers projets saillants
- Strengthening national capacity to prevent and control to emerging and re-emerging pandemic threats including influenza A in Bangladesh12/01/2017
- Appui à la réinsertion des retournés de République Centrafricaine (RCA) et soutien aux communautés hôtes au Tchad-VOLET FAO 23/12/2016
- Protection d’urgence des ressources d’élevage des éleveurs et des agropasteurs affectés par les impacts du phénomène El Niño en Éthiopie22/12/2016
- Resuming agriculture and income opportunities for communities affected by the CAR crisis22/11/2016
Support to small-scale irrigation development in Eritrea
Support to small-scale irrigation development
To improve farmers’ water management capacity and increase economic returns through irrigation farming.
Eritrea’s Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Local Government.
815 households (approximately 4 170 people) in three villages in Maekel and Debub Regions.
- The project supported the completion of the small-scale irrigation programme initiated under the European Union Food Facility project.
- The installation of a sprinkler irrigation system in Tseazega village (25 hectares), and drip irrigation systems in Azayihe village (51.14 hectares) and Onaforo village (31 hectares) respectively was completed.
- A one-day training on the operation and management of the drip irrigation system was given to members of the Water Users Associations, benefiting 33 and 42 people from Onaforo and Azayihe villages respectively.
- The irrigation schemes should, in the long run, enable beneficiaries in drought-prone Eritrea to produce a minimum of two crops per year during the dry season for consumption and sale, resulting in improved livelihoods.
- The increase in the production of vegetable and crops throughout the year should have a positive impact on market prices.