Derniers projets saillants
- Programme for increase of agricultural production by the improvement of productivity (Phase III) in Afghanistan
- Emergency support to winter wheat production in the Syrian Arab Republic
- Appui au renforcement des capacités et à la mise en place de filets de sécurité alimentaire des ménages en situation de forte insécurité alimentaire en Haiti
- Promoting local food purchases for food assistance on the African continent – purchase from Africans for Africa
Emergency assistance to support agriculture-based livelihoods of vulnerable flood-affected households in Pakistan
Emergency assistance to support agriculture-based livelihoods of vulnerable flood-affected households in Sindh
To enable vulnerable, severely food-insecure flood-affected farming families to resume the critical agricultural production cycle through provision of inputs for Rabi 2011 planting.
Ministry of Food Security and Research, Sindh provincial Department of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries, the National Disaster Management Authority and national and international Non-governmental Organizations.
31 307 flood-affected farming households in four districts of Sindh province.
- Distributed agricultural input packages to 26 500 households – each containing 50 kg of wheat seed, 50 kg of urea, 50 kg of DAP and assorted vegetable seeds.
- Distributed poultry packages to 4 807 households – each containing 12 birds (10 female, 2 male), one perforated chicken box, one drinker, one feeder, three egg collection trays, one wire mesh unit and 50 kg of poultry feed.
- Trained agriculture package recipients (26 500 beneficiaries) on land preparation for wheat planting and good practices for improved cultivation and yield.
- Conducted capacity development sessions for 7 384 beneficiaries on wheat and vegetable production technology, post-harvest management and nutrition; and for 643 poultry package recipients on improved practices of home-based poultry farming.
- Enabled farmers to resume the agricultural production cycle through the distribution of agricultural inputs.
- Beneficiaries obtained an average wheat yield of 2 894 kg/ha, increasing household food stocks from 118 kg (before the floods) to 1 082 kg (after the Rabi harvest) and generating an income of PKR 7 500 per household.
- On average, each family produced 1 120 kg of vegetables with seeds provided by the project and generated around PKR 4 600 through the sale of surplus produce.
- Farmers increased their knowledge of good agricultural practices and nutrition and learned new crop husbandry techniques to achieve better production and minimize post-harvest losses.