- Análisis de Sistemas de Gestión del Riesgo de Desastres - Una Guía02/03/2015
- La Resiliencia de los medios de vida: Reducción del riesgo de desastres para la seguridad alimentaria y nutricional - Edición 201312/07/2013
- Normas y directrices para intervenciones ganaderas en emergencies (LEGS)04/06/2013
- Boletín informativo n.0125/03/2013
- Metodología y buena gestión de emergencias: elementos fundamentales07/02/2012
The Women of Kanem
FAO supports food security in an effort to combat malnutrition in Chad - Kanem, a region in western Chad, has higher rates of chronic malnutrition than the rest of the country. Food insecurity, mainly affecting women and children, results from the low availability of food (low agricultural production owing to adverse weather conditions), decreased incomes that have limited access to food and mishandling of food.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has been working with vulnerable populations in the region since 2010 to help reduce the prevalence of malnutrition. The poorest rural families that rely on agriculture have limited access to fertile irrigated land (in the “ouaddis”), and cannot cultivate vegetables that are essential for a nutritious diet.
To establish support for gardening activities, small irrigation projects and education on nutrition, FAO brought together landowners and farmers without access to irrigable land in the ouaddis.