Syria Crisis - Executive brief 20 February 2013
- Ongoing conflict has affected more than 4 million people across Syria, including 2 million internally displaced persons. A further 860 000 people have fled to neighbouring countries.
- Agricultural damage and losses are estimated at USD 1.8 billion.
- 4 million people are at risk of food insecurity – indicating a 33 percent increase over the past six months.
- Funding is urgently needed to help farmers and herders sustain their livelihoods and food security base, particularly during winter.
- FAO seeks USD 34.85 million within the 2013 Syria Humanitarian Assistance Response Plan to help 59 200 severely affected farming and herding families safeguard their livelihoods and resume food production.
- Priority FAO interventions include: (i) provision of animal feed and veterinary supplies; (ii) seed provision; and (iii) income generation activities.