- Análisis de Sistemas de Gestión del Riesgo de Desastres - Una Guía02/03/2015
- La Resiliencia de los medios de vida: Reducción del riesgo de desastres para la seguridad alimentaria y nutricional - Edición 201312/07/2013
- Normas y directrices para intervenciones ganaderas en emergencies (LEGS)04/06/2013
- Boletín informativo n.0125/03/2013
- La prevención salva vidas preserva los medios de vida ahorra dinero22/05/2012
Georgia Spotlight Story: Winter feed crucial to livestock holders
In Georgia, livestock production represents 60 percent of the total value of agricultural production. After the dissolution of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s, livestock farming started developing in Georgia and today there are 1 200 000 livestock, out of which 750 000 are cows. In the middle of a protracted economic crisis, compounded by the conflict between Georgia and the Russian Federation in August 2008, cows have become the main source of income for farmers.
With the support of the United States Agency for International Development, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has assisted small-scale farmers in Georgia to keep their livestock alive and in good health by distributing concentrate animal feed, treating cattle against endoparasites and installing water troughs throughout 2009. In addition, the farmers have benefitted from specialized training on how to produce silage for their cattle.