- Increasing the Resilience of Agricultural Livelihoods17/05/2016
- FAO Position Paper - The World Humanitarian Summit16/05/2016
- Social protection in protracted crises, humanitarian and fragile contexts14/05/2016
- Paz y seguridad alimentaria - Invertir en resiliencia para sostener los medios de vida rurales en situaciones de conflicto30/03/2016
- The impact of disasters on agriculture and food security26/11/2015
Situation Update: The Sahel Crisis - 27 August 2013
Tags: SAHEL, NIGERIA, NIGER, CAMEROON, CHAD, SENEGAL, WEST AFRICA, MALI, MAURITANIA, GAMBIA, CRISIS IN THE SAHEL, SITUATION REPORT,
- The Sahel crisis, with more than 11 million food insecure persons, has entered its peak with the lean season when poor households’ food stocks are exhausted and people face food shortages and high food prices until the next harvest.
- The food security situation in northern Mali, northern Nigeria and neighbouring countries, where coarse grain prices continue to increase, are of particular concern.
- The agricultural season started with delays due to irregular rains in most of the region. Consequently, the weather and agriculture situation should be watched carefully in the locations where late rainfalls occurred.
- With the USD 19.4 million received so far in 2013, FAO is assisting more than 1.6 million beneficiaries with support to food and livestock production, domestic animal protection and related technical assistance. In order to reach the millions of affected people still in need of assistance a stronger commitment by resource partners is urgently needed, especially for livestock and agriculture off-season support.