- Análisis de Sistemas de Gestión del Riesgo de Desastres - Una Guía02/03/2015
- La Resiliencia de los medios de vida: Reducción del riesgo de desastres para la seguridad alimentaria y nutricional - Edición 201312/07/2013
- Normas y directrices para intervenciones ganaderas en emergencies (LEGS)04/06/2013
- Boletín informativo n.0125/03/2013
- Metodología y buena gestión de emergencias: elementos fundamentales07/02/2012
Village Savings and Loan Schemes empower women in Karamoja
Karamoja in Uganda is one of the most underserved areas in terms of financial services, leaving a big proportion of the population unbanked. Only two out of the seven districts have a presence of banks. The absence of these facilities makes it difficult for the farmers in the region to solve their production constraints. The women are the most affected because they do not have easy access to other forms of assets such as livestock and land, that are mainly owned by men in the region.
In response to this need, FAO has integrated the community managed Village Savings and Loan (VSL) methodology into Agro Pastoral Field School (APFS), not only to overcome this challenge among members of the APFS, but to enhance investment through proper management of income generated at household and group levels.