- Assessing fuel needs in camps for IDPs and surrounding communities in Myanmar16/04/2015
- Cleaning water channels in Bangui13/04/2015
- Damage of the Tropical Cyclone Pam in Vanuatu24/03/2015
- Assessment mission to Nimule in South Sudan17/03/2015
- Visit to communities affected by the Ebola outbreak in Bong County, Liberia09/03/2015
Elas rehabilitation - Ethiopia
In Ethiopia FAO works to help the Borans to rehabilitate their wells, called Elas. They are specially prepared hand dug wells where livestock move into the well with a trench (cattle path) to water troughs half way deep in the wells.
The system needs improvement measures including enlargement of the trench, reduce slope of cattle path, widening cattle trough area and reducing seepage losses from collection chamber and cattle trough.