- Fighting vulnerable farmers’ food insecurity in Haiti23/03/2017
- Supporting fisheries in Somalia16/03/2017
- Fisheries on the White Nile river in South Sudan27/02/2017
- Farmers and herders in an IDP camp in Somalia21/02/2017
- Training fisher folks in South Sudan09/02/2017
Backyard poultry in Syria
Thanks to funding from the United Kingdom’s Department for International Development (DFID), FAO is assisting 3 000 vulnerable households in Rural Damascus in Syria to restart or sustain their backyard poultry production. Each family is receiving 15 laying hens and 50 kg of poultry feed – sufficient for two months. Once the feed provided by FAO is finished, families will be able feed the hens following the local practices, through food scraps from the family.
This assistance is enabling families to produce eggs for home consumption and enhance their protein intake, while surplus production can be sold in the local market or bartered.