- New drought risks in Ethiopia put recovery at stake17/01/2017
- EU and FAO team up to address alarming food insecurity in Yemen11/01/2017
- Iraq irrigation project:Demining and repair initiative restores key irrigation canals near Mosul23/12/2016
- FAO in Emergencies 2016 Year in Review21/12/2016
- Horn of Africa braces for another hunger season20/12/2016
Boosting production in Burkina Faso
The food situation is of grave concern in parts of the Sahel, with more than 10 million people at risk of hunger. In Burkina Faso, harvests are meagre. Livestock pastures are dry. And with consistently high prices for food and farming inputs, levels of hunger and poverty are rising.
But distributions of improved seed by FAO and the European Union 'Food Facility' will give 100,000 vulnerable households - about 700,000 people - the chance of a better harvest.