- Cassava is the staple food of nearly a billion people in 105 countries. In tropical Africa, cassava is one of the most important crops with production estimated at 50 million metric tonnes in 20091. Total African production of cassava has quadrupled in the last five decades and is now estimated ...read more
- The Horn of Africa (HoA) is one of the most food-insecure regions in the world. The 2011 drought affected more than 13 million people at the peak of the crisis, causing massive food insecurity and famine.
Given the complex nature of crises affecting the region, which often occur simultaneously and can ...read more
- East and Central Africa continues to face acute and chronic emergencies that severely impact the vulnerability of rural communities who are affected by food insecurity, gender inequalities and HIV/AIDS. The region also experiences a large number of conflicts and human rights violations which restricts development and significantly increases human suffering. ...read more
- Dans ce numéro :
Crise Sahel 2012 : bilan et leçons apprises
Appels humanitaires 2013
Feuille de route FAO-PAM
Atelier URD sur la résilience
Appui au Cadre Harmonisé
Décentralisation FAO Sénégal
REOWA et la coordination humanitaire
Since April 2012, Madagascar has been facing a serious locust plague of the Malagasy Migratory Locust, that threatens the livelihoods of 13 million people in the country, nine million of whom earn a living from agriculture. Locust infestations, if untreated, could wipe out food crops and livestock grazing lands – ...read more
- Agricultural livelihoods and food security for the 1.6 million Palestinians in the Gaza Strip have been devastated by the ongoing blockade since June 2007, only partially eased in June 2010. The blockade policy consists of tight restrictions on the movement of products, services, and people in and out of Gaza. ...read more
- In the West Bank and Gaza Strip (WBGS), recurrent conflict and restrictions over natural resources, markets and services are depriving families of their basic needs for survival and placing their ability to cope under severe strain.
Food security and livelihoods have been directly impacted by controls on the movement of people ...read more