Despite the 2013 harvest in the Sahel being equivalent to the last five years average, preliminary figures indicate that at least 13 million people (excluding Nigeria) are still food insecure, due to limited access to food. The agricultural production of the poorest households is insufficient to restore their livelihoods and is expected to ...read more
- The FAO/WFP Crop and Food Security Assessment Mission (CFSAM) visited the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) at the request of the Government, from 27 September to 11 October 2013.
In the DPR Korea, despite a small reduction in planted area, overall crop production in 2013/14 is estimated to increase by ...read more
- FAO’s Junior and adult Farmer Field and Life Schools (J/FFLS) are addressing the root causes of gender-based violence and helping to prevent and mitigate the effects of HIV in northern Uganda through the provision of key life skills and knowledge in agricultural production and nutrition.
- Karamoja in Uganda is one of the most underserved areas in terms of financial services, leaving a big proportion of the population unbanked. Only two out of the seven districts have a presence of banks. The absence of these facilities makes it difficult for the farmers in the region to ...read more
- Although the consumption of cassava in northern Uganda reduced during the 20 years of war and displacement, the crop is now back in the diet of the resettled communities, thanks to the efforts of FAO, Government of Uganda, development partners and smallholder farmers, who are at the centre of multiplication ...read more
- The press release of the regional consultation of the regional information system for Food Crisis Prevention and Management (PREGEC) in the Sahel and West Africa on the agricultural and food outlook (Lomé, 20-22 November 2013) to which FAO, through its Subregional Emergency and Rehabilitation Office for West Africa/Sahel, has participated. ...read more
- Les invasions acridiennes constituent une menace récurrente pour Madagascar. La plus récente invasion du Criquet migrateur a eu lieu entre 1997 et 2000. L’arrêt de ce long événement acridien a nécessité le traitement de plus de 4 millions d’hectares. Cela a coûté au pays et à la communauté internationale environ ...read more