- The Guidelines for emergency risk-based surveillance detail strategies to assist national authorities in rapidly detecting an incursion of H7N9 in non-affected countries/areas and in investigating the presence of the virus along the poultry production and market chain.
- Since the European Union (EU) became a member of FAO in 1991, the two institutions have built a strategic partnership contributing to the achievement of United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), particularly MDG 1 – “reducing by half the proportion of people suffering from hunger by 2015”. Rooted in these ...read more
- In the West Bank and Gaza Strip (WBGS), vulnerable families cannot access many basic needs owing to recurrent conflict and restrictions over movement, natural resources, markets and services. Their ability to cope is under severe strain.Small-scale farmers, herders and fishers are among the hardest hit populations, despite the potential of ...read more
Since April 2012, Madagascar has been facing a serious locust plague of the Malagasy Migratory Locust, that threatens the livelihoods of 13 million people in the country, nine million of whom earn a living from agriculture. Locust infestations, if untreated, could wipe out food crops and livestock grazing lands – ...read more
Le nord du Mali toujours en proie à la crise alimentaire
Afflux de réfugiés au Tchad suite aux troubles politiques en République centrafricaine et des affrontements au Soudan
Forte hausse des prix des céréales au Niger et au Nigéria suite aux inondations de 2012 et aux troubles sociaux au nord du Nigeria
- The Livestock Emergency Guidelines and Standards (LEGS) are a set of international guidelines and stadards for the design, implementation and assessment of livestock interventions to assist people affected by humanitarrian crises. They are based on livelihoods objectives that aim to provide rapid assistance to protect and rebuild the livestock assets ...read more
- In early February 2012, thanks to good rains and a strong multisectoral humanitarian and development effort, we were able to declare an end to famine conditions in Somalia.
The crisis in Somalia and in the rest of the Horn of Africa, however, is far from over. If we do not sustain ...read more