- The Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC) is a global humanitarian forum established in 1991 by a resolution of the United Nations General Assembly to bring together the main operational relief agencies from the United Nations, international components of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement, the International Organization for Migration and international non-governmental ...read more
- Welcome to the latest newsletter from the Food and Agriculture Organization’s Sudan office. This month the global theme for World Food Day 2012 was announced: ‘Agricultural cooperatives – key to feeding the world’. The theme highlights the role of cooperatives in improving food security and contributing to the eradication of ...read more
- Trends and directions in livelihoods, nutrition and food security in Darfur
This report examines trends and directions in livelihoods, nutrition and food security across Darfur since 2005. It provides an analysis for agencies and government that can support programming which responds more effectively to the emerging development context. The report uses ...read more
- FAO works closely with the Government of Kenya to help build a food-secure country, free of hunger and malnutrition, where food and agriculture contribute to improving the living standards of all, especially the poorest, in an economically, socially and environmentally sustainable manner.
Last year, Kenya and other countries in the Horn ...read more
- La persistance et l’intensification des conflits armés à l’Est du pays et au centre de la province du Katanga continuent de provoquer d’importants mouvements de population. Selon OCHA, le nombre de nouveaux déplacés en RDC aurait atteint en juin 2012 environ 2.3 millions de personnes, soit une augmentation de 35.3% ...read more
- Programming for secure livelihoods amid uncertainty: trends and directions in livelihoods, nutrition and food security in Darfur
This report examines trends and directions in livelihoods, nutrition and food security across Darfur since 2005. It provides an analysis for agencies and government that can support programming which responds more effectively to the emerging ...read more
- Following unusual rains in late 2011 and early 2012, Desert Locust infestations were first reported in southwest Libya and in southeast Algeria in January 2012.
Despite insecurity along both sides of the border, more than 60 000 hectares have been treated by national teams, thanks to the support provided to Libya ...read more
- Crops and livestock sectors are the most affected by the ongoing crisis in Syria.
Major affected crops are the strategic crops, such as wheat and barley; fruit and other trees (cherry, olive, other fruits, ornamental trees) and vegetables in the 9 governorates. Rise in fuel costs and unavailability of labor force ...read more
- Zimbabwe’s economy is beginning to rebound after more than ten years of decline. With that, availability of and access to food is improving. Given that more than two-thirds of Zimbabweans make a living from agriculture, a healthy agriculture sector is essential to the country’s recovery. Finding innovative ways to unlock ...read more