- The Syrian Refugee Resilience Plan (SRRP) 2017–2018 is the guiding instrument for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) to address the impact of the Syrian refugee crisis in Turkey. The SRRP enables FAO to provide a strategic response to the food security needs within the refugee ...read more
- Le Programme triennal de réponse d’urgence à l’invasion acridienne à Madagascar, préparé conjointement par la FAO et le MPAE de Madagascar, a pour objectif général de contribuer à la préservation de la sécurité alimentaire des populations les plus vulnérables; l’objectif spécifique de la troisième campagne était le retour à une situation ...read more
- From 12 to 18 January 2017, FAO and IGAD partnered to conduct a rapid assessment to understand drought impact on livelihoods, food security and nutrition in cross-border areas in order to inform appropriate and coordinated responses. The assessment teams visited 32 locations in cross-border areas of Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia.
The results of the assessment show that 380 ...read more
- Key points
Yemen is facing the largest food security emergency in the world. Without immediate action, the situation is likely to worsen in 2017.
An estimated 17.1 million people are food insecure and struggling to feed themselves – an increase of 3 million in 7 months – according to preliminary results from ...read more
- Key Points:
Food situation remains good in the region with new harvests. The off season crop campaign in the region is ongoing.
Niger recorded a forage production deficit.
Locust infestation decreased in December in the areas affected by recent resurgences in Mauritania.
The FAO food price index dropped for the fifth consecutive year.
- In Mali, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is implementing the “Caisses de Résilience” approach with a strong focus on nutrition to support 3 000 vulnerable households in 64 villages in the Mopti region (district of Bandiagara).
The three-year programme, launched in February 2015, aims to improve nutrition, the ...read more
- Key messages
Restoring agricultural livelihoods is a priority to avoid a further deterioration of the food security situation of displaced people and host communities in the coming months.
Limited funding received in 2016 for livelihood interventions is a major concern, especially in northeastern Nigeria where 5.1 million people will suffer from food ...read more
In 2017, the food security situation in South Sudan is expected to deteriorate to unprecedented levels – the risk of famine is real for thousands of people in conflict-affected communities and in structurally food deficit areas, against a background of widespread market failure.
FAO is seeking USD 61 million under the ...read more
- This report provides a forward-looking summary of major risks to agriculture and food security including their likelihood and the extent of their probable impact. It is a product of the analysis provided by existing FAO information and Early Warning systems (GIEWS, FCC-EMPRES, IPC) and, where necessary, external information, acting as ...read more