- Afin de passer en revue les actions menées par la FAO face à la crise au Sahel en 2012 et de partager les bonnes pratiques, le Bureau Sous-régional des Urgences et de la Réhabilitation de la FAO-Afrique de l’Ouest/Sahel a organisé à Dakar du 4 au 6 décembre 2012 un ...read more
- Gender equality is central to FAO’s mandate to achieve food security by raising the levels of nutrition, improving agricultural productivity and natural resources management, and improving the lives of rural populations.
Crises, conflicts or natural disasters do not affect everybody equally. In wartime, women and children disproportionally suffer; in natural disasters, ...read more
- FAO is guided by international humanitarian, refugee and human rights law, including the right to adequate food. FAO has endorsed and encourages all responsible parties to follow the Guiding Principles on Internal Displacement.
FAO advocates a ‘twin track’ approach in displacement settings, aiming to save and support lives and livelihoods of ...read more
- FAO supports cash-based transfer (CT) programmes linked to agriculture and food security that promote markets and decent rural employment, and increase access to agricultural inputs, goods, services and essential infrastructure by rural populations.
CTs should be embedded within an agriculture programme approach. The decision to use cashbased transfers in conjunction with, ...read more
- FAO is committed to placing accountability to people affected by disaster and conflict at the core of its emergency policy and practice, from preparedness and the onset of an emergency, through all phases of the programme cycle.
Accountability to affected populations (AAP) is a people-centred approach, sensitive to the dignity of ...read more
- During the past few weeks, prevailing southwesterly winds and vegetation drying-‐out favored the movement of swarms from the outbreak area (southwest of Madagascar) towards the western and northeastern parts of the invasion area.
More reports of swarms as well as damage to young plants of rice and maize were reported from ...read more
- Dans ce numéro :
Nouvel Objectif Stratégique 5 de la FAO
Réduction des Risques de Catastrophe et agriculture
Situation toujours précaire au Sahel
Un projet innovant pour la résilience
La FAO soutient la production agricole au Libéria
- The regional consultation of the regional information system for Food Crisis Prevention and Management (PREGEC) in the Sahel and West Africa on the agricultural and food outlook was held from 17 to 19 September 2013 in Niamey, Niger.
- Madagascar is prone to natural disasters, including drought, flooding, cyclones and locust crises. The current locust plague began in April 2012, following a twoyear upsurge that was not addressed owing to insufficient means. Given the extent of the plague, as well Madagascar’s high rates of food insecurity and malnutrition, the ...read more
- Inside this issue:
Chinese foxtail millet shows promising results
Cereal Banks – a weapon in the fight against food scarcity in Karamoja
Planting trees offers multiple benefits to agro pastoralists
FAO and districts agree on Climate change project
Hunger costs Uganda Ugs 1.8 trillion per year