Favorable growing conditions of crops in the Sahel
Desert locust situation remains of concern in Mali and Niger
Situation in Mali: lack of information in northern Mali
Trends in international and regional markets: maize and wheat prices rise internationally; coarse grain prices rise in most Sahel markets
- Following an alert by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the World Food Programme in October/November 2011 regarding a food and nutrition crisis in the Sahel, FAO prepared a strategic response framework entitled “The food and nutrition crisis in the Sahel: Urgent action to support ...read more
- The long rains ended early with signiﬁcant rainfall deﬁcits being experienced across the eastern half of Kenya, parts of southern Somalia, northeastern Djibouti, and northeastern Ethiopia.
The June – September rainfall season is now well established in Ethiopia, Sudan and South Sudan, despite the late and erratic onset. In the central Ethiopian highlands, ...read more
- The February—May rainfall was characterized by a late onset and mixed performance throughout the horn of Africa (HoA).
Exceptionally heavy rains and the consiquential flooding in western areas contrasted sharply with large rainfall deficits in eastern areas, including the eastern half of Kenya, parts of southern Somalia, northeastern Ethiopia, and northwestern Uganda. ...read more
- Key points
Normal start to the 2012-2013 growing season
Desert locust threat in the Sahel
Situation in Mali: 175 000 IDPs, 250 000 refugees and a lack of information in northern Mali
International and regional markets: rise in international maize and wheat prices; stability of grain prices -though still at high levels- in West ...read more
- The Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC) is a global humanitarian forum established in 1991 by a resolution of the United Nations General Assembly to bring together the main operational relief agencies from the United Nations, international components of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement, the International Organization for Migration and international non-governmental ...read more
- Welcome to the latest newsletter from the Food and Agriculture Organization’s Sudan office. This month the global theme for World Food Day 2012 was announced: ‘Agricultural cooperatives – key to feeding the world’. The theme highlights the role of cooperatives in improving food security and contributing to the eradication of ...read more
- Trends and directions in livelihoods, nutrition and food security in Darfur
This report examines trends and directions in livelihoods, nutrition and food security across Darfur since 2005. It provides an analysis for agencies and government that can support programming which responds more effectively to the emerging development context. The report uses ...read more
- FAO works closely with the Government of Kenya to help build a food-secure country, free of hunger and malnutrition, where food and agriculture contribute to improving the living standards of all, especially the poorest, in an economically, socially and environmentally sustainable manner.
Last year, Kenya and other countries in the Horn ...read more