- Post Disaster Needs Assessment (PDNA) is a government-led exercise, with integrated support from the United Nations, the European Commission, the World Bank and other national and international actors. The PDNA approach encompasses two perspectives - the valuation of physical damages and economic losses, and the identification of human recovery needs ...read more
- Cultivated mainly on marginal lands by small-scale farmers, cassava is an inexpensive and essential part of the diet of vulnerable communities across Africa. Millions of people depend on the crop.
Two virus diseases are now threatening the cassava production in East and Central Africa. With funding from the European Union, the ...read more
- An FAO/WFP Crop and Food Security Assessment Mission (CFSAM), including both financial and technical support from IFAD and the Ministry of Agriculture (MinAgri), visited Madagascar from 19 June to 13 July 2013.
Madagascar’s 2013 rice output is estimated at 3.6 million tonnes (paddy), about 21 percent below the above-average level of ...read more
- The FAO Country Programming Framework (CPF) is the Organization’s overarching approach for integrated – emergency and longer-term – country level programming. As much as possible, programming in transition settings should derive from existing CPFs, as well as contribute to their formulation or evolution.
Agriculture-based growth and productive rural employment, including for ...read more
- Safe access to cooking fuel can save lives in humanitarian contexts; supporting safe access to sufficient and appropriate cooking fuel for affected populations requires greater attention and a multisectoral approach from the humanitarian system.
The collection, supply, and use of biomass cooking fuel in emergencies creates a myriad of risks for ...read more
- The vulnerabilities of people living with HIV are considerably exacerbated by the effects of humanitarian crises: HIV is an “emergency within the emergency”.
Food and nutrition insecurity is both a driver of the epidemic and a consequence of the impact of AIDS: it increases susceptibility to, transmissibility of, and exposure to ...read more