- Les invasions acridiennes constituent une menace récurrente pour Madagascar. La plus récente invasion du Criquet migrateur a eu lieu entre 1997 et 2000. L’arrêt de ce long événement acridien a nécessité le traitement de plus de 4 millions d’hectares. Cela a coûté au pays et à la communauté internationale environ ...read more
- FAO, WFP and UNICEF share the goal of strengthening resilience of the most vulnerable in Eastern and Central Africa. The three agencies confirmed their commitment to play a key role for mobilizing change through resilience building in the region. The agencies made the pledge during a two-day workshop in Nairobi, ...read more
- This FAO Kenya Newsletter examines our World Food Day activities including the inaugural Media Awards. There are also reports on how sorghum farming is improving livelihoods in various parts of Kenya and the effect of this year’s long rains on food distribution in the country.
In addition, we focus on how ...read more
Average agricultural production levels are expected in the Sahel and West Africa, except in some localized areas
The resurgence of locusts in Mauritania requires reinforcement of monitoring and treatment systems
The commercial crisis of cashew nut in Guinea Bissau caused a deterioration on household food security
- With the onset of the rainy season in late September, ecological conditions are becoming suitable for the maturation of the swarming populations and their subsequent mating and egg-laying (adequate soil moisture and grass greening). Hatching of non-swarming populations was already reported.
Several swarms, whose size was of 3 600 hectares on ...read more
The lean season is coming to an end as food crop harvests are ongoing in the Sahel. The poorest households begin to supply their exhausted food stocks but are still facing difficulties accessing adequate food on markets.
Aggravating factors such as population displacements and floods affect livelihoods of already vulnerable and ...read more
- Post Disaster Needs Assessment (PDNA) is a government-led exercise, with integrated support from the United Nations, the European Commission, the World Bank and other national and international actors. The PDNA approach encompasses two perspectives - the valuation of physical damages and economic losses, and the identification of human recovery needs ...read more