- Hurricane Sandy hit the eastern region of Cuba hard. It passed through the country on 25 October, 2012 as a category 2 Hurricane (approaching category 3) in a five hours span. Sustained winds reached 200 km/h as Sandy lashed Cuba´s second and third most populated provinces of Santiago de Cuba ...read more
- Key Points
Good crop prospects confirmed by PREGEC
Locust situation remains of concern
Grain prices in West Africa and on the international market: millet prices remain high but other coarse grain prices are normalizing in West Africa
Households whose livelihoods remain affected by the 2011-2012 crisis might face food difficulties in 2013
- Canada is a key partner of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) in the fight to end hunger. Thanks to timely contributions from the Government of Canada, FAO has been able to rapidly respond to agricultural threats and emergencies cross the globe, helping farmers, pastoralists and ...read more
- FAO has not traditionally had extensive operations in Syria, and is therefore not well embedded across the agricultural sector, aside from at a more governmental and diplomatic level.
Consequently, there is not the same level of intimate knowledge and expertise as to the complex and interacting factors that will influence outcomes, ...read more
- Rome based agencies FAO and WFP, along with the global Food Security Cluster, undertook an interagency mission to Pakistan in September and October, 2012, in order to support IASC activities on accountability to affected populations (AAP), investigate the current status of AAP amongst humanitarian agencies, with a particular focus on ...read more
- The current industry approach to AAP encourages humanitarian actors to be diligent in ensuring that the significant power they hold with regards to disaster-affected communities is exercised responsibly at every level of the system.
It promotes an underlying tenet that people affected by emergencies are end users and stakeholders rather than ...read more
- Key Points
Good crop prospects throughout the Sahel and in West Africa, except in localized areas
Uneven pastoral situation
Locust situation: WARNING: swarms forming in the Sahel
Floods: Niger, Chad, Senegal and Nigeria together account for more than 90 percent of 1.5 million people affected by recent flooding
Coarse grain prices remain abnormally high in ...read more
- When working with (or funding) partners for the delivery of services to affected communities, an agency’s commitments on AAP cannot end at the partner’s door. Rather, the chain of accountability to affected populations ideally travels from the funding source to the end recipient.
This requires agencies to discuss and negotiate with ...read more