- On 10 November 2013, the coast of the Puntland region of Somalia was hit by a tropical cyclone causing heavy rainfall and flash floods. FAO Somalia’s Water and Land Information Management project (SWALIM) provided timely early warning information to the Government’s Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management Agency (HADMA) and to ...read more
Nearly the entire population of the Central African Republic – 4.6 million people – has been affected by the deterioratinghumanitarian situation. An estimated 2 million people are in need of humanitarian aid, 1.3 million people are in need of food aid and 500 000 have been internally displaced.
Agriculture accounts for ...read more
- FAO’s Junior and adult Farmer Field and Life Schools (J/FFLS) are addressing the root causes of gender-based violence and helping to prevent and mitigate the effects of HIV in northern Uganda through the provision of key life skills and knowledge in agricultural production and nutrition.
- Although the consumption of cassava in northern Uganda reduced during the 20 years of war and displacement, the crop is now back in the diet of the resettled communities, thanks to the efforts of FAO, Government of Uganda, development partners and smallholder farmers, who are at the centre of multiplication ...read more
- Post Disaster Needs Assessment (PDNA) is a government-led exercise, with integrated support from the United Nations, the European Commission, the World Bank and other national and international actors. The PDNA approach encompasses two perspectives - the valuation of physical damages and economic losses, and the identification of human recovery needs ...read more
- Cultivated mainly on marginal lands by small-scale farmers, cassava is an inexpensive and essential part of the diet of vulnerable communities across Africa. Millions of people depend on the crop.
Two virus diseases are now threatening the cassava production in East and Central Africa. With funding from the European Union, the ...read more
- What is MLND?
The Maize Lethal Necrosis Disease (MLND) is a result of a combination of two viruses, the Maize Chlorotic Mottle Virus (MCMoV) and any of the cereal viruses in the Potyviridae group, like the Sugarcane Mosaic Virus (SCMV), Wheat Streak Mosaic Virus (WSMV) or Maize Dwarf Mosaic Virus (MDMV). ...read more
- The Guidelines for emergency risk-based surveillance detail strategies to assist national authorities in rapidly detecting an incursion of H7N9 in non-affected countries/areas and in investigating the presence of the virus along the poultry production and market chain.