- Karamoja in Uganda is one of the most underserved areas in terms of financial services, leaving a big proportion of the population unbanked. Only two out of the seven districts have a presence of banks. The absence of these facilities makes it difficult for the farmers in the region to ...read more
- Although the consumption of cassava in northern Uganda reduced during the 20 years of war and displacement, the crop is now back in the diet of the resettled communities, thanks to the efforts of FAO, Government of Uganda, development partners and smallholder farmers, who are at the centre of multiplication ...read more
- FAO, WFP and UNICEF share the goal of strengthening resilience of the most vulnerable in Eastern and Central Africa. The three agencies confirmed their commitment to play a key role for mobilizing change through resilience building in the region. The agencies made the pledge during a two-day workshop in Nairobi, ...read more
- Cultivated mainly on marginal lands by small-scale farmers, cassava is an inexpensive and essential part of the diet of vulnerable communities across Africa. Millions of people depend on the crop.
Two virus diseases are now threatening the cassava production in East and Central Africa. With funding from the European Union, the ...read more
- What is MLND?
The Maize Lethal Necrosis Disease (MLND) is a result of a combination of two viruses, the Maize Chlorotic Mottle Virus (MCMoV) and any of the cereal viruses in the Potyviridae group, like the Sugarcane Mosaic Virus (SCMV), Wheat Streak Mosaic Virus (WSMV) or Maize Dwarf Mosaic Virus (MDMV). ...read more
- The Guidelines for emergency risk-based surveillance detail strategies to assist national authorities in rapidly detecting an incursion of H7N9 in non-affected countries/areas and in investigating the presence of the virus along the poultry production and market chain.
- Since the European Union (EU) became a member of FAO in 1991, the two institutions have built a strategic partnership contributing to the achievement of United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), particularly MDG 1 – “reducing by half the proportion of people suffering from hunger by 2015”. Rooted in these ...read more
- In the West Bank and Gaza Strip (WBGS), vulnerable families cannot access many basic needs owing to recurrent conflict and restrictions over movement, natural resources, markets and services. Their ability to cope is under severe strain.Small-scale farmers, herders and fishers are among the hardest hit populations, despite the potential of ...read more