- Cultivated mainly on marginal lands by small-scale farmers, cassava is an inexpensive and essential part of the diet of vulnerable communities across Africa. Millions of people depend on the crop.
Two virus diseases are now threatening the cassava production in East and Central Africa. With funding from the European Union, the ...read more
- What is MLND?
The Maize Lethal Necrosis Disease (MLND) is a result of a combination of two viruses, the Maize Chlorotic Mottle Virus (MCMoV) and any of the cereal viruses in the Potyviridae group, like the Sugarcane Mosaic Virus (SCMV), Wheat Streak Mosaic Virus (WSMV) or Maize Dwarf Mosaic Virus (MDMV). ...read more
- The Guidelines for emergency risk-based surveillance detail strategies to assist national authorities in rapidly detecting an incursion of H7N9 in non-affected countries/areas and in investigating the presence of the virus along the poultry production and market chain.
- Since the European Union (EU) became a member of FAO in 1991, the two institutions have built a strategic partnership contributing to the achievement of United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), particularly MDG 1 – “reducing by half the proportion of people suffering from hunger by 2015”. Rooted in these ...read more
- In the West Bank and Gaza Strip (WBGS), vulnerable families cannot access many basic needs owing to recurrent conflict and restrictions over movement, natural resources, markets and services. Their ability to cope is under severe strain.Small-scale farmers, herders and fishers are among the hardest hit populations, despite the potential of ...read more
- In early February 2012, thanks to good rains and a strong multisectoral humanitarian and development effort, we were able to declare an end to famine conditions in Somalia.
The crisis in Somalia and in the rest of the Horn of Africa, however, is far from over. If we do not sustain ...read more
- Banana-based production systems in the Great Lakes Region are central to many livelihood systems, they are a staple food and contribute to national economies. Providing a rich source of vitamins and minerals and more than half of the daily calorie intake, they make an imperative contribution to food and nutrition ...read more
- East and Central Africa continues to face acute and chronic emergencies that severely impact the vulnerability of rural communities who are affected by food insecurity, gender inequalities and HIV/AIDS. The region also experiences a large number of conflicts and human rights violations which restricts development and significantly increases human suffering. ...read more